Chapter 33: Coping

Chapter 33: Coping

Misty

I ran out the Pokémon Center doors, Togepi bouncing up and down as my pace increased. Ignoring all the people around me, I made my way to the closest hiking trail I could find, hoping the trees would shield me from everyone so I could find a place to be alone. In a few minutes, I was far enough away that Emma and Daniel couldn't find me. My breath became a sharp pain with every inhale and I forced myself to slow to a walk. As I did, my ears picked up the sound of running water.

My feet followed the growing noise and I found a shallow stream. I sat down near the water and took deep breaths, trying to force myself to calm down so my eyes wouldn't start watering.

I couldn't really remember the last time I'd cried. Maybe over a year ago when Ash had almost died when we were looking for Ghost Pokémon.

I closed my eyes roughly as if to block the memory. I didn't want to remember what Emma had said. I wasn't going to marry Ash Ketchum. Why would I want to? Of all the obnoxious, immature, stupid, childish-!

If Togepi hadn't been in my hands, I would have wanted to punch something. I shifted her small body so I could see her face.

"Oh, Togepi." I sighed. "What am I going to do?"

"Toge-pri." She frowned.

"I mean, I've always wondered about the future, but I didn't want for it to come visit me, you know?"

"Togi."

"Now it feels like the future is all decided for me, like I have no choice but to accept it." My hands shook. "No, that's not true. I'm going to do what I want with my life."

I thought of Emma, how her eyes had stared with sadness and truth at mine. I did believe her, that she was really my daughter. I could even see little parts of myself in her and, looking back at all our conversations, it was obvious they'd been hiding who she was from me the whole time.

My thoughts then strayed to when Ash, Brock, and I had dealt with time travel. We'd met a boy named Sam who was from the past and helped him get back to his own time. We'd never heard from him again, but he was probably still alive today. Really, he was supposed to be our friend. Shouldn't he have found us somehow in the present so that we could see each other again?

Gritting my teeth, feeling a Psyduck-like headache coming on, I slouched and stared at the stream. It usually calmed me down, the soft sound of peaceful flowing water, but today was an exception.

I'd been lied to, then told the truth to. A truth so distant, complex, and huge that I should never have known it until I'd lived through it. And now that burden was mine to bear on my own.

Without realizing it, I had started crying despite trying to hold myself together. Warm tears slid down my cheeks. Togepi crooned, trying to cheer me up, but I felt too far gone to listen.

"Misty?"

Startled, I whipped my head around. I'd know that voice anywhere- Ash. Taking a deep breath, I turned around so I wasn't facing him, rubbing my eyes to wipe away the tears.

"Why are you crying?" Ash sat down next to me.

"I'm not," I said after blinking a couple times. I was instantly reminded of Emma again, who had lied to me just an hour ago when I asked her if she was crying. She really was a lot like me.

Ash smiled softly. "Misty, I've known you long enough to know when you're lying."

I looked over at him. His black hair was messy and his eyes were childlike and warm. He always looked like he had never been sad in his life with that smile of his.