Chapter 28: Asking

Chapter 28: Asking

"Wait, you want to what?" Ash asked blankly.

"It's really weird, I know."

"Why do you need to go see Celebi?" Ash had finally stopped talking about his win against Pryce long enough to get a breath, which had been the best time to ask him. And the fact that he had been chatting about it the rest of the day was the reason I was the only one with him right now, letting him go through a blow by blow report of what had happened, even though I'd been there. Everyone else had abandoned ship because they couldn't stand it anymore. But me? Well, I'd promised Anthony and his critical look was worse than a critical hit Ice attack.

Yet I wasn't really prepared to answer this question of why I needed to go see Celebi. Telling the truth was my best bet, at least part of it, but I felt like he'd want proof or something. Why hadn't I gone over this in a meeting beforehand?

I bit my lip. "I don't think you'd believe me if I told you."

"Well, I'm not just going to take anyone to see Celebi," Ash argued. "He's my friend and I don't want people to know where he is."

I frowned. "I thought we were friends too. Besides, I'd think you'd know me well enough to know I'd never hurt a Pokemon. I ran onto the field to take care of your Cyndaquil today, right?"

"That's true," Ash said unwillingly. "Still, you haven't told me why."

"Do you really have to know?" I grimaced.

"I'll be late to my gym match. I need to get to the Johto League," Ash said desperately.

Yeah, and I need to get back to the future so I don't screw up time more than I already have. You're already mad enough as it is in the future, so this sass you're giving me isn't helping, dad. I thought before sighing. "Ok, I'll tell you the truth, but you may not believe me."

"I bet I will." Ash grinned, like it was a game.

If I was less nervous I would have rolled my eyes before I got an idea. It was a lie, but I couldn't tell my dad all of the truth. "So you remember telling me about Celebi when we were going to the Lake of Rage, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, we actually know people who are stuck in the wrong time."

"Oh yeah?" Ash sat up, more interested.

"Yeah. And we need Celebi's help with getting them where they need to be."

"Who?"

Ugh, he had to ask that. "Just some Trainers."

"Do I know them?"

He was so dense. I smoothed my expression and said slowly, "You will know them."

"So are you saying they're in another time, but they're supposed to be here in the present?"

"I wasn't saying that, but it's something like that."

"How'd they get to the wrong time?" Ash frowned.

Dang his questions. "Team Rocket was meddling with time machines."

"Jessie and James or the real Team Rocket?"

I smiled. "What do you think?"