Only the Beginning

Toni: I think I need to sit.

Babyface reached for Toni, but she avoided him and walked back into the living room. He looked towards Nicole and the stroller.

Babyface: You can come in; we need to talk as well.

Nicole followed Babyface into the living room. Babyface sat by Toni, worried and confused. Toni, on the other hand, was upset.

Nicole: I didn't mean to come at the wrong time. I just had to speak to Kenny.

Toni (faking a smile): It's fine.

Babyface: Can you explain to me who this little baby is.

Nicole: Well her name is Trinity Nicole and she is about 5 months old. She was conceived about a week before your Christmas party. I didn't know I was pregnant until I went to my OBGYN for my bi-monthly check-up.

Toni: Do you mind if I hold her?

Nicole: Not at all. She just woke up from her nap.

Nicole gently unsnapped Trinity from her seat and handed her to Toni. Trinity laughed as Toni looked at her. Toni smiled back at Trinity as tears began to fall from her eyes. Babyface tried soothing Toni, but she moved away from his hands.

Toni: She's beautiful. (Smelling Trinity) She still has the fresh baby smell.

Nicole: Thank you, she's my little angel.

Babyface leaned back thinking.

Babyface's POV

How? I only slept with Nicole once. We used protection. I think. Trinity does look like me, but...I don't know. What do I do?

Toni: Ken.

Babyface: I'm here, baby.

Toni (choking up): Why won't you hold your daughter.

Babyface, sadly, looked up into Toni's eyes. He could see that she was truly hurt and heart broken.

Toni: Hold her.

Babyface took Trinity from Toni and watched as Toni got up.

Toni (wiping her eyes): It was nice seeing you Nicole.

Nicole: Same here.

Toni: I'll be in the music room if you need me Ken.

Babyface: Okay, I won't be long.

Toni began to walk towards the music room, changed her mind. She headed to their bedroom.

In the bedroom...

Toni had a small bag open and ready to be packed. She grabbed a few things from the bathroom, her nightstand, and the closet. She zipped the bag up and looked around. Checking everything one last time, she left her phone, a note, and something else on the bed for Babyface. Slowly and quietly going down the stairs, Toni took a glance of Babyface holding Trinity, and left through the garden.

An hour later...

Babyface: Before I claim Trinity as my biological daughter, you know I have to do a DNA test.

Nicole: She looks just like you Kenny.

Babyface: Looks can be deceiving sometimes. I want to do things the right way.

Nicole: I understand. Where do we go from here?

Babyface: I can schedule an appointment for the test and we'll go from there. Now, if you don't mind, I have to finish putting these gifts away in the twin's nursery. Here's my number and call me if you need anything.