Every time she came to the edge of sleep, she forced herself back. She would not risk sleeping when Samsu did if she could help it – if the night terrors returned and disturbed him again she could find herself starved to death.

Ashan departed for his own bed at midnight when his relief arrived, but Eliana spent a long, wakeful night staring into the darkness, lying on the hard floor instead of the cushions, trying to keep sleep at bay. As soon as Samsu departed in the morning, she made herself comfortable, pulled up the blanket and fell into a dreamless sleep.

She was awoken by Ashan's gentle hand on her shoulder – he had come to check on her, dismissing her guard for a break, as always.

'Eliana? Are you alright?' he murmured.

She sat up and pushed the hair out of her eyes, 'in what way?'

'Your scream last night – it sounded like you were in agony.'

'Oh, that. I've had nightmares ever since Samsu's conquest of the city. I haven't had one for a while though.'

Ashan had the good grace to look embarrassed – he could not deny his own part in the conquest.

Eliana's stomach grumbled loudly. She blushed. 'I suppose I'll have to get used to that. Five days!'

Giving a wicked little grin, Ashan reached into his pocket and produced a chunk of bread and a handful of dates. 'It's not much, but I'll bring you what I can – just make sure nobody sees you eat it!'

'Oh, Ashan!' Eliana snatched the food and stuffed it underneath her cushions, concealing it with the herbs. 'Thank you!' she reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Before either of them knew what was happening, their lips had melded together in a heart-melting kiss. Eliana felt hot tears sting her eyes at the unexpected pleasure of feeling Ashan's warm lips against hers again. She opened her mouth a little, running the tip of her tongue along his lower lip. He gave a little shudder of arousal and she smiled into the kiss as his arms tightened around her waist and pulled her closer.

Somebody cleared his throat behind them.

Eliana's stomach plummeted as they sprang apart, whipping around to see who had caught them.

The guard that Ashan had dismissed for his break had returned. He leaned casually against the wall, watching them with an interested expression. 'The prince will cut your cock off for this, pretty boy,' the man drawled, an arrogant smirk on his face.

Ashan pulled himself slowly to his feet and walked towards the man with a measured pace, reminding Eliana of the dangerous dance of a scorpion before it strikes. 'And just how is he going to find out?' he asked calmly.

'I dare say word will get back to him somehow, unless you can make it worth my while to keep silent.'

Eliana shrank back against the wall, afraid of where this was going.

'What is it that you want?'

'Promotion,' the man answered without hesitation, 'and something shiny for my troubles.'

'Shiny?'

'That's a right fine blade you've got at your belt – no captain of a household guard needs a blade that fancy.'

'This one?' Ashan withdrew the dagger and held it out, still inching towards the man.

'That's it – you're too much of a pussy to use it anyway. Talk amongst the soldiers is that you've never even killed a man. It's a sin to let a blade that beautiful live unblooded.'