Chapter 20- Let's Play

Start from the beginning

“Mommy…” I murmured.

“Not now, Fiona. Mommy is on the phone with Daddy. Go wait for me in the living room. I’ll be out soon.” She cooed before yelling back on the phone, “Richard! It’s our daughter’s fifth birthday. Why won’t you wish her?! Are you even her father at all? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’RE BUSY?! So your job is more important than your daughter? You still dare to call yourself a father? Oh no, don't you dare use that tone of voice at me! I AM YOUR WIFE!”

When they say fire spreads fast, it’s true. Because by the time I wanted to walk out of the kitchen, the fire has spread to the entrance of the kitchen, blocking any way of leaving the kitchen. I slowly backed away.

I think Mom has realized the heat around the room because when she turned around the fire was already in the kitchen and onto the stove, blocking our only exit, the windows.

“Richard, I might not be able to call you back. I’m sorry and I love you.” She said, tearing up.

I hugged my mother and she hugged my back tighter, “Fiona, baby, I want you to call 911. I’m going to try to stop the fire. I’m sorry Fiona, but Mommy has to go. I love you.”

By this time, I was crying and obediently I dialed 911. I looked at my mom and she removed the night robe she was wearing and started to hit the fire, hoping that it would go down. She turned back and shouted, “Fiona, go to the corner of the kitchen and stay there.”

I ran to the corner and I was crying helplessly. The fire didn’t get smaller in fact it got bigger. I was so afraid. I saw my mother get burned by the inferno.

The fire approached me; I covered my ears and screamed. It was so smoky and I remember the last thing I heard was the sound of the fire truck.

When I awoke, I was in a white room. I saw grandma and asked, “Grandma, where am I?”

“You’re in the hospital. Thank God you are safe. You were only slightly burnt.” Grandma explained.

“Where’s Mommy?” I asked, remembering the horrific sight of her being burned.

I saw tears rolling down Grandma’s cheek, “Mommy can’t be with us anymore. She’s in a better place watching over you.”

Mommy has talked about a place like this before. She told me it was called heaven.

“Is that place heaven?” I asked softly.

Grandma nodded her head and started sobbing, “It’s not your fault, dear. Things like that happen.”

I went back to sleep and when I awoke again, Grandma was still here and I saw Daddy.

Daddy was tearing when he saw me he shrieked, “It’s you! If I never had a daughter like you, none of this would’ve happened. She was the love of my life! It's your fault. I knew you were bad luck the moment you were born.”