Chapter 23: Money can't buy me love.

I went home and took a long shower. James' words floated through my mind. Why can't you for once show me the real you? He wants to see the real me? I'll show him the real me. I got out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel. I removed everything of make-up that still could've been on my face. I dried my hair with a towel and went through it with a brush. Leaving it a natural as it ever could've been. No hairdryer, no straightning, no curling, nothing. I go to my nightstand and take out my glasses, that I rarely wear. I lay them down on the counter in the bathroom. I go to my closet and change into a pair of sweats and a loose t-shirt. I go back to the bathroom, take out my lenses and put on my glasses. I go to my shoe-closet an pull out a pair of Vans. I usually wear heels. I go back to my nightstand and take out my checkbook. I write out a check, good for $1000, to the Maslow family. I grab my keys and get in my car. I drive to James' house. I practical jumped out of my car and rang the doorbell. He's mom opened the door. "Good evening Mrs. Maslow."

"hey, Joni right?" I nodded.

"Is James home?"

"Yes, he's in his room, come on right in."

"Thank you." I stepped inside. "Is it okay if I go upstairs?"

"Of course, sweetie.You know the way." She shot me a friendly smile. I smiled back at her as in saying thank you. I went up the steps and stood in front of James' door. I let out a deep sigh and knocked.

"Come in." I heard James' voice from inside. I slowly opened the door and went inside. "How did you get in here?" He snapped as he saw me.

"Your mom let me in."

"Okay and why are you here?"

"Well you wanted to see the real me, so, here I am." He nodded without looking at me. I sat down on Philips bed. "I like you better with your glasses on." He scoffes.

"Hides my stupid face." I looked down and shook my head.

"You're face isn't stupid." There was another silence. "I have something for you." I roamed my pocket to find the check and handed it to him.

"What's this?"

"I promised I'd help you, right?"

"So you thought, I'll just give him a big amount of money and everything will be alright? Well guess what, money can't buy you love." He shoved the check back in my hands.

"I'm not trying to buy your love." I reason him.

"No, but it would be easy, wouldn't it?"

"Look, I know your life isn't easy, which is why I really think you should just accept the check, but neither is mine." I tried holding back my tears as I continued my speech. "At least you have your family. My parents don't even care about me. They're always working. They rather spend time working than to spend it with me. My brother hates me. I just found out that my friends only like me for my money. And the only guy I tought cared about me thinks I'm a slut." Before the tears could spill I run out the door. Once I was completely outside I sighed and let the tears fall. I look at the check in my hands and put it in his mailbox. His family needs it more than I do. I get in my car and drive home. Maybe I need a change too. Enough with the mini-skirts. Enough with the high heels. And from tomorrow on I'm wearing my glasses to school. I go to the kitchen and grab a garbage bag. I go upstairs to my closet and throw away at least half of it. Next was my shoes. I threw away a few pair. I took the bag and grabbed my keys. I went outside and went to donate the clothes and shoes. "Time to go shopping." I said to myself.