Chapter 17

Jonathan's POV

It felt so good to be home. We were all exhausted from our early morning flight. We had an afternoon practice but I asked coach to skip. Brielle wasn't feeling well so I stayed home to take care of her. She was 32 weeks pregnant but something was wrong. Her stomach hurt a lot and she had a migraine. Jack and I sat on the couch watching TV while Brielle took a nap. Later that day I heard a scream from upstairs. I told Jack to stay while I ran upstairs to check on Brielle.

"Brielle? Are you okay? What happened?" I asked frantically.

"My stomach hurts so bad. I think I am going into labor." She said starting to cry.

"But your early? I will call Chaunette to watch Jack." I said dialing Chaunette's number.

After I called Chaunette she came over quickly and Brielle and I left for the hospital. I grabbed the baby bag that was packed and the carrier. I was so nervous for this baby since it was early. When we arrived at the hospital we checked in and we were directed to our room. While Brielle puts on her gown, I decide to FaceTime Jackson.

"Hey buddy!" I say waving to him through the screen.

"Hi daddy! Where is mommy?" He asks.

"She is in the bathroom. Are you excited to be a big brother?" I asked him.

"Yeah! Is it a boy or girl?" He asked. I forgot we never told him.

"It's a surprise. I will tell you when the baby is born." I said smiling.

"Okay. I have to go. Bye daddy! I love you!" He said waving and then hanging up.

A few hours later a nurse comes in and checks on Brielle. Brielle has started labor and this baby is on its way. I am so nervous to see the baby since it is 2 months early. I have to be strong since I know Brielle will be emotional. Finally after hours of waiting this baby is ready. Brielle is having a C-Section and was sent to the operation room. I pace back and forth waiting for the nurse to call me in. Once they let me in Brielle has tears coming down her face. I grab her hand and I fix her hair.

After a few minutes of waiting we hear a small cry.

"It's a girl!" The doctor said while holding up the baby.

"Yay! Jack has a little sister." Brielle said starting to cry.

"Yeah." I said wiping her tears.

"She weighs 5 pounds 3 ounces." The nurse says walking over with the baby.

"Oh my gosh. She is so small." I said looking at her little face.

"What is her name?" The nurse asked.

"Brooklyn Grace Toews." I said looking down at Brielle. We smile at each other.

The nurse walks away and informed me that Brooklyn needed to be put in the NICU.

4 hours later...

"Babe?" Brielle asks while rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah? What's wrong?" I ask looking concerned.

"Can we see our baby girl?" She asked.

"Yeah. She is in the NICU." I say standing up to help Brielle.

When we arrive at the NICU a nurse greets us.

"Hello. Do you have a baby in here?" She asks us with a smile.

"Yes. We are Brooklyn's parents." I say grabbing Brielle's hand.

"Ok she is over there. You can't hold her yet but you can touch her." The nurse informed us. We walked over to her incubator.

"She is so small." I say looking at her tiny body.

"Why was she so early? What did I do wrong?" Brielle asks starting to cry.

"Nothing. Brooklyn just wanted to see the world early. It's not your fault." I comfort Brielle.

I was nervous to touch Brooklyn cause she was so fragile. I put my finger next to her hand and she gripped it. I smiled and looked at Brielle.

After our visit with Brooklyn we walked back to our room. When we left the nurse told us Brooklyn could leave in a week depending on health.

As we arrived in our room Patrick was sitting on the couch.

"Sup Kaner." I said giving him a bro hug.

"Hey man. Where is the baby?" He asks.

"In the NICU. She weighed 5 pounds 3 ounces. Her name is Brooklyn." I said.

"Oh. Well congrats!" He said. I could tell that he was lost for words.

"Yeah. Well Brielle and I got to get some sleep. See you later!" I said to him as he left the room.

"Bye Brielle. Bye Jonathan." He said.

I didn't notice but Brielle was asleep already. I lay on the uncomfortable couch and fall asleep quickly.

It has been a long day.