A Cloud Of Green

Chapter 16

*Third Person's POV*

Solstice stood frozen on the grainy sand as she gazed at Neverland's scenery in the dead of night. The wind ruffled her dark brown curls as she smelled the scent of rainwater. The waves of the dark ocean sneaked up and down the surface of the sand; it appeared to be as if the water was attempting to escape something but it kept getting pulled back into the murky abyss of sea; as if the water wished to be something different, yet the call of its homeland kept calling back to it, pulling it away from what it truly desired—to be free.

"Okay, so we're here. Now what do we do?" The rough voice of Cyrus was overrun by whispers of ghostly voices.

Solstice stiffened as she heard the children's echoes. The hair on the back of her neck prickled. She knew she had heard those voices somewhere before. They were familiar. She must've heard them back when she was on Neverland before.

"Solstice?" Cyrus called to her as he realized she wasn't listening, "are you alright?"

"Do you remember star?" A shivering voice murmured in a frightening tone.

Solstice whirled around to try and detect where the voice was coming from, but she soon realized the voice was inside her own thoughts.

"Aww, you didn't forget about me, did you?" The boy's sly voice snickered.

"I did not forget." Solstice hissed through her teeth.

"Good. I wouldn't have let you forget anyway."

"What do you want? Leave me be. I haven't had you in my head for a while and I'd like to keep it that way." Solstice mumbled under her breath so she couldn't be heard through the whistling gusts of wind.

"Oh nothing. I'm just lonely I guess. You're the most fun thing to tinker with anyways. You know, this isn't how you think it's going to turn out. Whatever you're searching for—your memories, they're only going to cause you trouble. But then again, why listen to me? I'm only a voice in your head."

Without another word, the voice of Cale vanished. Solstice stood there rooted to the ground for a couple very long moments until the sound of rustling bushes made her jump. At first Solstice thought it was just the wind, yet something didn't seem right. The hairs on the back of her neck spiked up at the mumbling cries of the faint voices of unseen children.

"Solstice, are you alright?" Baelfire's voice was concerned as he stared at the girl's back.

"I'm not so sure." She answered as she began to walk near the forest. She listened intensely for signs of danger but she heard none. She sighed softly, believing she was safe. Solstice turned to Baelfire and was about to speak, but she was suddenly devoured in a puff of green smoke. A sudden scream escaped her mouth as it swirled around her. Baelfire shouted for her but she disappeared; it was as if she was never there.

"Solstice!!" Cyrus yelled. His voice held terror as he realized what happened. He turned to Baelfire with a murderous look, "where the hell is she!?"

Baelfire just stood there in shock. He knew who took Solstice, and he was terrified for her. "This can't be happening." His whispers were drowned out by the whipping wind. His thoughts were racing as he wondered what he should do.

Suddenly, two hands grabbed his shirt, forcing him back to reality. Baelfire realized he was face to face with Cyrus. His fists clutched Baelfire's shirt as he glared into the younger boy's eyes.

"Where is she!?" Cyrus shouted. "What happened!? Who took her!?"

"Relax." A sudden cocky voice appeared. A tall figure with slightly hunched shoulders and a hood on top of their head emerged from the brush.

"Felix." Baelfire whispered with disgust. "If you're here, Pan's never too far behind."

Cyrus's eyes widened and he let go of Baelfire, his knuckles white. "W-Where's Solstice?" His voice quivered slightly.

"Nice to see you again, Baelfire." Felix sneered. His lips twitched upward into a small smirk as he examined the two boys. "You must be lost or something. No other reason why you'd be back here—unless you aren't the one who's lost. Solstice must be the lost one."

"Tell us where she is, or I swear I'll put an end to you right here and now!" Cyrus's voice quaked with anger his fists clenched, his nails digging into his skin. Cyrus summoned his power from within to knock Felix to the ground, but as he was about to strike him with magic, nothing happened.

"Magic is different here." Baelfire whispered breathlessly as his eyes showed panic and dread. He pealed his gaze away from the blonde haired boy and looked to Cyrus; "He isn't going to tell us anything. We need to find her on our own."

Cyrus burned holes into Baelfire's forehead at his words. Fury bubbled up inside his chest; "How do you know he won't tell us—?"

"Because I know Felix!" Baelfire cut him off, "don't forget I was on this island for years. I know more about this place than you do, so quit acting like a crybaby and let's get Solstice back. This is all apart of Pan's sick game."

Cyrus's anger seemed to subside for a few moments as his brow furrowed in confusion, "a game?"

Baelfire huffed out in frustration, "I thought you said you spied on Solstice when she was here in Neverland. Didn't you pay attention to anything? Pan loves games. It's his thing." Baelfire turned to Felix, "what are the rules?"

Felix, who had been standing quietly while the two boys argued, smirked slightly—something ugly and frightening. "You got it wrong Baelfire. Pan doesn't want you in the game."

Suddenly the whispers of invisible children was overrun by hoots and cries. Three other boys burst through the trees and brush with deadly looking weapons in hang and sneers on their lips.

Baelfire stood there in shock. He recognized one of the boys. His red hair was like a torch in the night, and his gold eyes sparkled like jewels. Baelfire realized it was Dustin—the boy who was in league with Cale to attempt and kill Solstice for revenge. Luckily Pan broke Dustin's leg before he could do any real damage.

Dustin's eyes went wide at the sight of Baelfire, he was shocked to find him standing there. He didn't understand how it could've been possible to find Baelfire here—alive and well. Dustin wanted to ask Felix why Baelfire was alive, but he knew better. He held his tongue and gripped his crossbow harder.

The boy who was beside Dustin snickered at the sight of Baelfire and Cyrus.

"You call this a challenge?" The dark haired boy sneered. "What are we gunna do with 'em?"

Felix brow twitched at the sound of Ivan's voice. He hated Ivan but knew he was being considered for third in command. He had to respect Pan's decisions. Felix forced a smirk as he spoke; "We take them back to camp."