Hit to the Face

Chapter 10

*Solstice*

"Hello Baelfire." I greeted him as he began to wake. His eyes were squinted and he seemed rather out of it.

"For a second I thought you were going to kill me." Baelfire said with a groggy voice.

I chuckled slightly. "All in good time. First I must ask you more questions."

He raised his eyebrow slightly, "you've already asked me questions. I'm telling you the truth when I say I've done nothing to you!"

I rolled my eyes, ignoring his defense. "I want to know why this cuff is on my wrist." I held up my right arm for him to see the green leather cuff. "Did you do this?"

He squinted at the cuff, studying it, and turned back to me. "No. That was Pan."

I shook my head. "Why are you lying to me?"

"I'm not!!" Baelfire exploded into a fit of rage. "Why would I do that to you Solstice!? What would I gain from doing this to you?"

I opened my mouth to speak but then hesitated. I honestly didn't know what he would gain from any of this. I didn't even know the whole story on what happened in Neverland. I only had bits and pieces of it. Yet, I remember the bad things very well. Baelfire killing Shine, unable to help Dylan while he was dying, bringing Wendy to Neverland to make me jealous. That's all I needed to be convinced he was a monster.

"I thought you wouldn't cooperate, so I had this made." I took out another glass vial and showed it to him. Dark shimmery dust rested inside. "This powder will force you to tell the truth. It's much like truth serum, except in powder form."

I sprinkled some dust in my hand and blew it in Baelfire's face. He instantly sneezed. His eyes sparkled like diamonds once he opened them.

"Now, I ask again, why is this cuff on my wrist? Did you put it on me? I want the whole story."

"Pan did."

Baelfire's answer shocked me; I knew my disbelief could be seen on my face. I used the dust yet he still said the exact same thing—how could he be telling the truth when I already know Peter is not a bad person?

"Pan put that on your wrist when you two were fighting. He knew he wasn't any match for you and your Blue Magic. He's a coward. He's the one who didn't help Dylan when he was dying of Dreamshade poison, he's the one who brought Wendy to Neverland, and he's the one who killed Shine. He ripped out her heart so he could live long enough until The Truest Believer comes to Neverland—"

"SHUT UP!!" I exploded in his face. My fit of anger made him go silent. My mind was running wild. I couldn't understand how Peter could do such a thing, but Baelfire is telling the truth. The dust makes it impossible to tell a lie.

"You still have Cale in your head, don't you?" Bealifre's words cut my thoughts short. His voice held kindness and concern.

I snapped my head in his direction. I was at a loss for words. How did Baelfire know of the voice in my head? I hesitated before I spoke; "h-how did you know that?"

"You told me. You told me everything back on Neverland." He answered simply.

"So, we were close?" I clarified.

Baelfire nodded with tired eyes. "Yeah, we were. We loved each other once."

I didn't say anything.

Baelfire's eyes turned sad at my silence. "Pan did something to you when he sent me away. He told me you were dead. I believed him. I was such a fool. I should've been out there looking for you."

I didn't say anything for a moment. "H-How did Cale get into my head?"

Baelfire gave a long sigh. "You had the Star Fever."

I took a step back in surprise. I gawked at him as he studied my face. He looked down in sadness as I tried to figure out what to say. This was too much to contemplate. I felt like my mind was going to explode. But I instantly made a decision to ask more questions.

"H-How? How did I survive?" My voice cracked. I didn't understand any of this.

Baelfire sighed, "it was Cale. He wanted to get revenge so he wished for the virus. He laced a dagger with it and stabbed you with it. Pan finally killed Cale. But when you woke up from being unconscious, you began to go crazy. You heard not just Cale, but Shine in your head also. You tried to kill yourself more than once, Sol."

My mind was overloaded with information. Some of what he said I remembered. Such as the part of hearing Shine and Cale in my head, of how I wanted to take my own life, and remembering a sharp pain in my back. Baelfire was telling me the truth. He could be trusted. Making my decision, I walked toward him and unlatched his restraints.

He got up off the chair and rubbed his wrists where the bindings gripped. But then suddenly, with surprising amount of speed, Baelfire pushed me up against the wall. His eyes gazed into mine with a hint of sadness but also excitement. "I don't understand why true love's kiss didn't work back in London. You should've regained your memories that Pan stole. Will you let me try again?"

My breath caught in my chest as I was consumed by his chocolate eyes. His lips were so close to mine. I felt my cheeks begin to grow hot. We stared at each other for a moment until I finally nodded. Baelfire gave a small smile and leaned in for the kiss. But just then, a sudden knock on the prison door interrupted us.

I pushed Baelfire away and ordered whoever it was to enter into the cell.

"What is he doing out of his restraints?" A voice asked.

"It's okay Cyrus. Baelfire—" before I had a chance to finish, he stalked over to Baelfire.

Cyrus was much taller than him but that didn't scare Baelfire; he stood with his back straight and head held high. But suddenly, in one quick motion, Cyrus punched Baelfire square in the jaw.