.:14:.

I swallowed hard and folded my arms neatly across my chest, while staring down at the floor. I tried to tell myself that, if I believed that it was not happening, it would not actually happen. However, that was not the case and I still found myself standing in the basement, surrounding Kellin with my parents and Mike. It was time for the second part of the preparation: sèx.

Sex had been a huge part of our following for centuries. It was a sacred practice to most religions but, with ours, it was completely different - mainly because we performed it in a completely different way from the others. It was used as a symbol of ownership, to show that Kellin's body belonged to us.

This was always what I hated most, though. I usually managed to make myself go numb during the process of it, but I felt incredibly guilty after each time it happened. We took turns, going around Papa, Mike and I. Today, it was Mike's turn.

I did not want this to happen at all and I knew that if I as much as looked at Kellin, it would bring tears to my eyes and I would say something which would probably get us both killed. It pained me so much that he had to go through this, but it was a worthy sacrifice...maybe.

While Mike would perform the ritual, all the rest of us had to do was stand there and watch silently, until we mutually decided that it could be over.

"Michael," Mother spoke confidently, whereas I was literally shaking, "you may begin."

Then came the rustling and the footsteps and the undoing of a belt and I could not help but look up. Kellin was awake and obviously aware of what would happen, judging by the fear in his eyes, but he also knew that nothing he was able to do could stop it from happening. So, instead, he looked at me for help, as I stood, breathing rapidly.

Just as Mike was about to make his way around Kellin, I knew that I had to do something. I would not bare to just watch something so awful occur and I was the only one capable of changing something.

"Do we have to do this?" I spoke quietly, but learned my mistake from last time, and repeated the phrase louder. "Do we have to do this?"

I instantly regretted the words, as soon as they left my mouth. The whole room froze and it felt like all eyes were on me, which was true. I had no idea what to even do, so I simply stood stiffly until something happened. Did I just make the biggest mistake of my life? Probably. Was I going to die? Probably.

Seconds turned into minutes, before there was finally a change in setting. Instead of being beside my father, Mother stepped over towards me. She stood parallel and looked at me with a mixture of emotions and I was not sure if I had caught onto all of them. I was pretty sure that there was some shame, disappointment and maybe even a dash of amusement. But if did not last long.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She seethed through gritted teeth, meanwhile everything around us was still unmoving.

"I just don't think it's a good idea to do this," I choked out; this time, my voice was quieter.

"And why is that?" My mother promenaded closer and closer, until she was lifting my head up with her palm underneath my chin in order to keep eye contact.

"I don't think he's healed enough yet," my voice shook, but I did my best to explain my reasoning anyway. "I mean, look at the state of his leg! If we go along with this, it will definitely cause him more injuries and, as the previous ones haven't disappeared, it's a bad idea to create new ones. They always have to be nice and healthy for the finishing ceremony, and we all know how rough Mike can be. How about we wait a few days, so that he is in a good enough state for next week?"

Everyone who was present in the room stared at me intently, as if analysing and thinking about my idea. I could see the faint glimmer of hope in Kellin's eyes, when I flicked my gaze to him for a brief second. We both knew that the ceremony would be carried out sooner or later, but it felt like our lives depended on this one decision.