.:3:.

My eyes scanned the page of the unbelievably long book, searching for new words in the 'E' section, until I found one.

Entomology (say en-tom-ol-o-jee) noun  the study of insects. entomologist noun  [from Greek entomon = insect, + -logy]

Very interesting.

My eyes snapped up from the book, upon hearing a knock at my bedroom door. I mumbled a low 'come in' and, without surprise, Kellin stepped inside. I seemed to be the only person who he had proper conversations with, and that was a great thing. He sheepishly shut the door and walked further in. Kellin had probably gotten bored so he decided to come crawling to me, like he had been doing for the last three days.

My gaze dropped back to the book, looking for another interesting word.

Environs (say in-vy-ronz) plural noun  the surrounding districts. [same origin as environment]

"What are you reading?" Kellin asked, strangely eyeing the large shelf which housed the hundreds of books that I owned. This was the first time he was properly in my room and I was not startled by his reaction.

"A dictionary," I replied dully and turned back to the page, trying to spot something interesting.

Epaulette (say ep-al-et) noun  (plural epaulettes)  an ornamental flap on the shoulder of a coat. [French, = little shoulder]

"Why are you reading a dictionary?" The man chimed in again. I sighed, realising that he would not leave me in peace, and returned the book to the shelf. Kellin collapsed down onto the bed next to me and lay on his back, staring up at my face with huge, blue eyes. My hands tangled into the pale sheets.

"I like learning new words," I shrugged nonchalantly. It may have seemed weird to most people, but I enjoyed it.

"Isn't that what school was for?" He questioned as if he was appalled by what I said.

I frowned deeply, "I never went to school."

The older man gazed at me like he had just seen a ghost. Was it that shocking? My parents did not go to school and neither did me or Mike (that was the main reason why my brother was a brainless imbecile, who followed Mother and Papa around like lost puppy and did everything they said). However, unlike them, I actually wanted to become someone. The prospect of actually being intelligent - or, at least, having a chance to - seemed like a dream, although it was most people's reality. I knew that I was still the right age to go to college, but I couldn't. I was not allowed to leave. And who would want to teach an uneducated farm boy like me anyway?

"Why not? I saw a high school when we were in town, couldn't you have gone there when you were younger?"

"Not really, my parents wouldn't have allowed it. They prefer it when Mike and I are here, at the farm, so I try to teach myself everything."

A long silence followed and I knew that Kellin was in awe. It was very bizarre from an outsiders point of view but, to me, it just another routine.

"Do you really like learning and stuff like that?" The man asked after a long period of agonising silence.

"More than anything," I answered without lying.

"Well I went to school and took two years in college, before I dropped out," he started slowly and quite hesitantly. "If you want, I could teach you a thing or two."

Did he really just say that? Was someone actually offering me an act of kindness with nothing to give back?

I nodded eagerly. That seemed perfect! I could actually see things from the perspective of someone who had a real education. This was an amazing opportunity and I could not help but be extremely thankful. But I could not stop the guilt which followed closely afterwards.