A Passion for the Rails

Okay, to the average person, rail enthusiasm may seem very odd indeed. What on Earth is there to be enthusiastic about concerning trains?

Personally, it all kicked off when I met my boyfriend. Being the accepting person that I am, I tagged along and took in his every word when he'd speak about trains, and go train-spotting. From Class 377 'Electrostar's, to Class 68 engines and this game we call Train Sim, I took it all in and found my self developing an enthusiasm for rail travel and the local traction, the Class 444/450 'Desiro's.
Ahh, wait. I got it wrong. That's not right!

I  remember developing that passion earlier than I had previously realised. Before Oliver really taught me the ropes, or rails. 

Picture this - nervous me at my local railway station, stuttering as I asked a member of South West Trains staff when the next train to Guildford was while purchasing my ticket. I must of looked a complete fool, and I suppose I was in a way. A very inexperienced fool. This was to be my first independent rail journey, which is laughable seeing as I was 16 at the time. It was also my first day at college, and boy was I a nervous wreck. Two new things in one day; quite the stretch for 16-year-old Georgia Brown. 

I went on my way through the ticket gates, and even was anxious about this! I thought they were going to shut on me or something, which I now know to be a silly thought. I made it past this obstacle, and onto Platform 3. Here again I asked the Commercial Guard on the platform if the train was going to Guildford, and indeed it was. There was a faster service on the way, but I wasn't really feeling up for that. I was scared I'd miss my stop!

Before I asked the Guard this question, however, came this moment of awe. For whatever reason, I was stood by the front of the train on the platform, and I took a glance at her. Yes, trains can be referred to as 'her' or 'she', which is especially the case when talking about steam locomotives. I looked at her bright colours; I remember it so well. The front of the driving car, decorated in her Class 450 South Western livery. A beautiful swish of yellow, red and orange adorning her forwards motion. I felt in awe of this machine quite suddenly, even feeling as nervous as I was at that time. My first South Western Class 450 Desiro... Oh, now I wish I took note of her unit number. I would have loved to remember the exact train that sparked the beginning of my belonging to the rail enthusiast community.

Yes, I knew Oliver at this time. We were fond of each other, and I knew he was a rail enthusiast, but at that point I don't think I was paying special attention to it. We hadn't even met. So that does it for those people who have ever said I fell in love with trains through falling in love with Oliver. "Oh, she only like trains because her boyfriend does. She's not really an enthusiast." They're nowhere near correct. 

I am a rail enthusiast, and you know what? I've found a community to belong to, and I'm proud of that. After 18 years of life, and much time spent feeling like I don't fit in, I found the puzzle I fit into. 

I am a rail enthusiast. I've found my passion.