☙39❧

The alpha growled as he ran forward and lowered his arms to his sides just as his claws came out. He leaned towards me, roaring out, obviously making it a point that he was going to fight me for his life. Even if he did claim to know who I was.

I let out this grunted cry, holding up the sword over my shoulder and could feel Alvin running right behind me just in case. My pulse was racing the closer I got to the golden eyed creature and his teeth barred a warning at me.

Just as I was about five feet in front of the alpha, I came to an abrupt halt, bent forward while I spun around; swinging the weapon with me until I could hear that distinct 'shling!' of the metal slicing through flesh. There was a silent momentary pause before the loud 'thump' of something hitting the floor and rolling away reached my ears.

My arm was still extended outward and my eyes focused on the leaf-covered ground in front of me. Frowning at it, I let out a slow sigh and rose to my feet after dropping the sword. I lifted my eyes up to the alpha. His own were wide and looked down at my sword, Alvin's body, then back to me.

My jaw tightened as I stood there in the uncomfortable silence. At the moment, I'd rather be anywhere but here. It was awkward standing here with this half-man, half-wolf.

Alpha Dennison was in a state of shock. His eyes kept shifting between the dead body behind me to me. When he finally settled his gaze on me, he swallowed, opening his mouth to speak but i lifted a hand to stop him. I blinked hard and shook my head. That was when I informed the alpha that I still didn't know who he was, but that something the woman Penny back at the gas station had said bothered me enough that I needed to have some questions answered but only my grandfather could do that.

I relayed that my mission to take care of the alpha would have made taking out the other Weres in Blood Moon Falls so much easier without their Head in Chain in Command. His eyes widened when he realized that without him his pack would fall on their own then swallowed hard again, frowning at the body on the floor as I, too, stared down at Alvin and shook my head.

"Poor bastard didn't even see it coming..."

Turning back to Alpha Dennison, i raised a brow, sighing, "And so who is this Auric?"

The alpha blinked, startled at my question---or perhaps my sudden switch in topics---before looking away from Alvin's headless body and back at me. His brows furrowed as he stammered, "He's---he's my son."

He took a moment to pause, i noticed, then added, "You were involved with him before your kidnapping three weeks ago."

I stared, unsure of how to take that information. A werewolf? I was involved with a WEREWOLF? And an alpha's son, no less?

Letting out a deep breath, I shook my head and bent to grab my sword and wrinkled my nose at the dirt-covered blood dripping from it. Wiping it off on my pant leg, I sheathed it behind my back then walked over to where Alvin lay to dip my hands in the puddle of blood mixing it with the dirt for good measure. I could feel the alpha staring curiously so I promptly informed him that I made a too-easy-kill so this was necessary for me to "look the part" of having been in a rough fight.

That's when I rubbed my bloodied hands all over my shirt then stood up after grabbing the coarse-textured sack that I was SUPPOSED to be placing the alpha's head in. Instead, I walked over to the head with eyes looking upward as its mouth went slack to the side. Huffing through my nose, I bent and picked it up before shoving Alvin's head in all while the alpha was silent behind me.

"Why did you do that?" he finally asked.

Frowning, without turning, I replied, "I told you... i have questions that need answering and your death might be for nothing... or something. Depending on what my grandfather relays to me once i get back."