Chapter 19

Holy crap, 2,300 reads! Like oh my god! Thank you so much! 

I had like 5 comments and votes around a half an hour after I fricken published it! How the actual what? 

I have nothing to say apart from sorry for the cliffhanger from last chapter but THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT TOO!

I'm sorry this is a short chapter compared to the others, it's kinda a filler and kinda along the story.

I'm gonna get on with it now :)

Adopted by Phan

Chapter 19

Summer's P.O.V

During my last piece of homework their was a knock on the door.

'I'll get it!' I shouted before running to the door.

I opened it and stood before me was a police man.

'Summer Green Howell-Lester? He asked me.

'That's me,' I replied

'May I come in for a second?' He asked taking off his hat.

'Sure, sure,' I opened the door wider for him to walk in. 'Would you like a cup of tea or anything?

'Oh, no thank you,' He smiled

'Be right back,'

Phil was in the kitchen. 'Who was it?'

'It's a police man,'

He stopped stirring his coffee abruptly, before following me into the living room.

We sat down opposite him.

'Well...' He began. 'Your friend Jace is in hospital with fatal injuries, we found the boy in his home unconscious and bleeding heavily. We have no idea how he was in this condition, we were wondering if you knew anything to do with this?'

I was shocked. My best friend -my only friend- was in hospital, maybe dying.

It took me a while to register and actually answer the question but I got there eventually.

'No, I have no idea,' I started to cry and Phil put his arm around me.

'I know this is a rough time for you at the minute but we will gladly escort you to the hospital but you'll have to come with us back to the station to answer a few questions,' The officer asked smiling at me sympathetically.

'Yes please, thank you,' Phil replied.

'I'll get our shoes and coats,' I whispered, there was no emotion in my voice.

I got out of Phil's embrace picked up out shoes and jackets, I slipped mine on quickly then passed Phil his.

I've only ever been in a police car once, when I was being taken from the hospital and to the orphanage home  - I wouldn't really call it a home anymore.

The journey there was deafeningly silent, like it was pounding through my ear drums, right to my brain and back again.

When we arrived the hospital looked completely white and clean, concerning clean actually which smelt like bleach.

'Jace Hartman's room please,' The officer asked the reception lady.

'Room 429, Floor 6,' She smiled after tapping a few buttons on her computer.

'Thank you,' He nodded to her then went for the lifts with me and Phil.

No one spoke the entire way up to his room, I wanted to say a few things but I just couldn't get them out. My throat was dry and there seemed to be a huge lump stopping me from anything except crying - which I still hadn't stopped.

There was a doctor at the door of Jace's room.

'I'll leave you for now, I'll be in the waiting room,' The officer said before leaving.

'Are you here for Mr Hartman?' The doctor -Charlie- asked.

'Yeah,' I rasped.

'Well, before we let you in I have some things to tell you,' He flipped a paper on his clipboard 'Mr Hartman has suffered severe head injuries, a broken spine, the bones in his left arm and right leg are shattered and is currently in a coma, I am very sorry,'

I started to cry again and Phil pulled me into another hug.

'He's gonna be okay Sum, he's gonna be okay,' Phil kissed my head. 'Come on, we'll go see him,'

We walked into his room and I gasped when I saw him. Jace's face was so pale and lifeless, his lips were chapped. How long has he been out? Must've been a couple of days.

'Oh my god,' I whispered, my voice was still raspy and hurt a lot.

Someone ran through the door.

'I came here as fast as I could when Phil texted me,' The voice said. Dan.

'It's going to be okay,' He pulled me into an embrace and I snuggled into it.

**Phil's P.O.V**

I watched Summer and Dan and how she snuggled into Dan; I sighed.

I'm being stupid, or am I? I don't know any more.

It's just that Summer seemed to favour Dan over me and can do more things with him. We never really do anything together.

Am I a bad Dad? She called me Dad once but then never did again but she calls Dan Dad sometimes, never me.

I'm being paranoid.

We stayed at the hospital for a couple hours before leaving with the officer.

'Sir would you come and answer some questions first please,' He asked me and I nodded.

It was an interrogation room, and kinda creepy. It was a metal box room with a wooden table with two chairs facing opposite each other.

'Sit there,' He directed me to one of the chairs so I obliged. 'Now, I want you to answer these honestly. And that you should know that we aren't convicting you of anything, we just want to know things like when you last saw him, etc,'

'Well, we last saw him about two days ago. He came round to do homework with Summer and around 8 o clock he got a text and got all panicky and rushed out,'

'Did you know who this text was from?' He asked.

'No, I was sat across the room,' I answered.

'Did Jace show any sign or act of weird behaviour the past few days?'

'No, he was all smiley as he usually is,'

'Right, thank you. That's all we need from you, send Summer in please. We wont need your boyfriend,'

I walked out. 'Summer, your turn,' I smiled weakly at her.

'Are you okay?' Dan asked, hugging me.

'I guess so,' I sniffed 'No,'

'Jace will be okay, you know, he's a strong kid,' He started twiddling with the back of my hair

'I know, I just feel like we should've done something or at least seen something,' I snuggled into his embrace.

'Hey, hey, hey,' He brought my head up to his level 'Don't blame yourself on this. What happened to Jace is not your fault, I repeat, not your fault,'

I nodded weakly, smiling at him slightly.

'Come on, I miss smiley Phil,' He kissed me softly then leant his forehead against mine. This made me smile a lot more.

'There we go, let's go sit down,' He patted my bum before taking a hold of my hand and leading me to the chairs.

Summer walked out around fifteen minutes later, very pale and dead-looking.

'Come on, lets go home,' Dan smiled at her slightly before taking hold of her hand and keeping mine in his other.

She nodded slightly before we all walked out the station.