Chapter 22

A/N: OVER 11K reads! Thank you all sooooo much!

-----

"Stop pacing." Nathan ordered.

I stopped before glaring at him, he held his hands up in surrender before I carried on pacing. My parents and younger brother were coming to the Sykes household for dinner and I was freaking out.

"Hey it can't be that bad, I'm sure your mum is over it," Nathan said shrugging.

I rolled my eyes, "you don't know my mum. Trust me she can hold a grudge, she will see you and instantly start shouting and then I'll get blamed when it really is my fault because I shouldn't even be staying here and then she'll stop paying for my dorm and I'll be all on my own and have to drop out of university and then I'll become some random woman on the street," I said breathing deeply.

Nathan raised an eyebrow before chuckling, "well that's not going to happen, ok?" He said and stood up walking behind me, he wrapped his arms around my waist and leaned his head on my shoulder, "you need to relax alright? Panicking won't solve anything plus we still have a couple of hours before they arrive. We could always ditch and go to the party?" Nathan suggested and kissed my neck.

I shivered slightly before shaking my head, "I can't then I will defiantly be in trouble. No mentioning of the parties alright? Or us you know sharing a bed and stuff," I blushed.

"You mean our heated make-out sessions?" Nathan asked smirking.

I groaned and pulled away before turning and looking at him, "yeah them... No touching my thigh either! we aren't together!" I said.

Nathan shrugged, "we have benefits," he winked.

I frowned, "is that all I am to you? just someone you can kiss once in a while?" I asked quietly.

Nathan opened his mouth to say something before Jess walked in, "Lexi you're parents and brother will be here in an hour," Jess smiled before leaving.

I tensed up, "you said we had a couple of hours!" I accused poking Nathan's chest.

He shrugged, "well I thought we did! Calm down woman! Go get ready," he muttered annoyed.

I ran a hand through my hair before grabbing my clothes and heading to his bathroom. I locked the door and showered before shaving and then I got out. I dried myself before changing into my plain grey skinny jeans with a baggy white top that had a pair of converse on. I brushed my hair before tying it into a ponytail, I brushed my teeth before leaving.

Nathan was buttoning up a black skirt when I walked in before he stopped and looked at me. He bit his lip before smirking, "only you could pull off looking sexy in just jeans and a top."

I blushed as I grabbed my converse. I slipped them on while Nathan finished buttoning up his shirt. When he was done he put on a black beanie also some glasses.

"Since when do you wear glasses?" I asked confused.

He shrugged, "I think they make me look hot," he said cheekily, "but maybe this will stop your mother having a shouting match if I look 'smart'," he muttered with disgust.

I sighed and stood up walking in front of him, "you don't have to act like someone you're not, Nathan." I said looking at him.

He looked at me before he shrugged, "its not for you anyway," he snapped.

I bit my lip before nodding my head slowly. I grabbed my phone before checking the time and winced when I heard the doorbell go. They're here.

Nathan looked at me with a small smirk, glad he finds this amusing. Ass. I left his bedroom and Nathan followed behind me as we went down the stairs hearing my parents and little brother say hello. I can't do this. I stopped on the stairs and Nathan rolled his eyes, "babe come on, nothing to be scared of," Nathan whispered before taking my hand softly.

I nodded my head slightly before we finished walking down the stairs. My parents looked up and their eyes widened in shock, "hi mum and dad," I said and waved with my free hand.

My mothers glare looked at mine and Nathan's intertwined hands before I pulled my hand out of his, "Alexis. You were staying here?" my mothers sharp voice asked.

I choked a little, "erm... I... err... yes," I said blushing as she stared at me.

Paul and Karen looked at each other, "well then, lets all go into the living room while the dinner cooks." Karen said smiling.

I nodded my head, my throat dry as my parents went into the living room with Nathan's mum and her partner. Jess looked at me before my little brother came running up to me, "Lexi. You haven't been home for ages," Jonathan said pouting.

I smiled before ruffling his hair, "hey kiddo, I'm sorry. So how's year 6?" I asked bending down to his eye level.

"Cool, made some friends, who's this guy?" Jonathan asked squinting at Nathan.

Nathan smirked exposing his lip ring, "oh him?" I asked pointing to Nathan who gave me a wink, "he's an idiot. So annoying as well, this lovely girl here is his sister Jess, she's nice unlike her brother," I said smiling.

Nathan frowned annoyed before taking my hand again and gripping it, I just gave Nathan an innocent smile while Jess introduced herself.

"I will get you back later," Nathan whispered.

I stood up and looked at him, "you keep saying that but when will you actually do it?" I asked quietly with a small smirk before letting go of his hand and going over to my brother and Jess.

We all went into the living room where my parents were talking to Karen and Paul. When we walked in they looked at us and I automatically moved away from Nathan. He frowned again but said nothing as I sat on a couch next to Jonathan.

"These are my children, Nathan and Jess," Karen said with pride.

Jess smiled sweetly while Nathan rolled his eyes and exposed his lip ring more. The last time his lip ring was on my lips was last night and it was amazing. What am I thinking? I'm just going to stop. Although him in his glasses is a very nice look. Stop it.

"Well you seem to already know Alexis, but this is Jonathan," my mother said stiffly, "Vanessa is no longer here." My mother said with a sympathetic smile.

I instantly clenched my fists. My dad gave my mother a look, "Vanessa, who is she?" Jess asked confused.

"Oh I'm surprised Alexis hasn't mentioned her, she did think the world of her, well she use to until that terrible accident," my mother answered.

They looked at me and I looked at the floor. Why was she bringing her up now?

"Mary stop it." My dad said lightly. He seemed tired, I noticed dark bags under his eyes. He seemed ill. Not surprised with having my mother as a wife.

I glared at my mum, "oh right, sorry," she apologised.

Jonathan looked at me before giving me a side hug and I noticed tears in his eyes, he missed her even if he was young when it happened.

"So Alexis you have been staying with Nathan?" my mum asked with a smile.

I looked at my brother and kissed his head before looking at my mum, "yes," I said stiffly.

Nathan looked between us confused.

"Nathan, what do you take in university?" my dad asked smiling. Thank you dad.

"I take history," Nathan answers obviously confused as to why my dad was talking to him.

"Same as Lexi? Are you interested in music?" my dad questioned.

Nathan nodded his head, "I play piano, Jess sings and also plays the piano," Nathan answered.

"They're very good," Paul spoke up.

Nathan glared at him but said nothing. Guess we both have problems with one of our guardians.

"Well, I believe dinner is ready. Shall we head into the dining room," Karen suggested. I stood up quickly and looked at Nathan who pulled a funny face making me smile slightly.

Jonathan grinned at me, "I like Nathan," he whispered before he went over to our parents.

"What did he say?" Nathan asked joining me as they began leaving.

I looked at him and shrugged, "nothing. Come on let's go have a terrible night," I muttered before following them into the dining room.

I sat down next to Nathan opposite my brother and Jess, the adults sat near the top of the table. Karen gave out the plates, I smiled at her before picking up my fork and began eating my pasta but my mum glared at me. I put my fork down while Nathan gave me a confused look.

"My mother thinks it's ride to eat while no one else is," I said quietly to him.

Nathan frowned before looking at my mother and started eating with a cheeky smirk on his face. I giggled slightly before covering it up with a cough. Once everyone had started eating we were left in silence.

"Alexis how long have you been staying here?" My mother asked.

I tensed slightly, "a few nights," I answered.

My mother nodded her head, "I'm sorry if she has caused any trouble. After what happened with Vanessa, Alexis went a bit reckless, didn't you dear? And then you went and ruined your life."

"Mary," my dad murmured.

I gripped the fork tightly as my face flushed with anger and embarrassment athough my mother wouldn't shut up.

"What was his name again? Alex? Adrian? Adam? Oh I'll remember in a minute." My mother carried on.

Nathan looked at me before glaring at my mother while I felt angry tears sting my eyes, "I think you should shut up." Nathan snapped annoyed.

"Excuse me?" my mother asked shocked.

"Nathan," Paul said.

"No. She should shut the fuck up. She has no right talking about her daughter like that," Nathan said angrily and stood up pushing his chair back so it fell to the floor.

"Nathan," Karen said softly.

Nathan rolled his eyes before storming out of the dining room.

"So rude," My mother muttered.

Bad move. I saw Karen now look at her in annoyance, "that is my son you are taking about." Karen said cooly.

"He needs to be taught some manners, he has no right to be hanging around my daughter him and his little friends have changed her! That's it, Alexis, Jonathan, Rodger we are leaving." My mother said standing up.

I glared at her, "no you are leaving. I'm staying here," I said and looked at Karen who nodded her head with a small smile, "you have no right saying that about Nathan or my friends! just go before you embarrass yourself any further. Bye dad, Jo," I said before walking out the dining room and heading into the garden.

Nathan was no where to be seen. I went back inside and quietly walked upstairs, I checked his room and he wasn't there. I knocked on the bathroom, not there either. I frowned slightly before going over to a door I have never been to, I opened it and saw a piano in there. Nathan was sitting at the playing a tune I didn't recognise.

"We can stand so tall together, we can make it through the stormy weather, we can go through it all together, do it all together, do it all." Nathan sang before stopping and he looked up towards the window.

"That was... beautiful," I said softly.

He didn't even glance my way, "what did she mean about Vanessa? Don't say that you will tell me another time. I want to know now and you will tell me now," Nathan said harshly and pressed down on a hard key.

I winced as it echoed around the music room. I stepped in before closing the door, "she was my sister," I answered after a while.

Nathan played a few keys, "was? As in past tense? Don't you mean is?"

I laughed, a cold laugh, "no I mean was. She's dead." I said emotionlessly. Nathan pressed down on a key, not expecting that answer, "so are you happy now? You now know. My sister is dead and it's my fault, I know it's my fault and my mother knows it's my fault why do you think she hates me so much? So well done Nathan, you now can go running to everyone and tell them, then you can use it against me. We all know as soon as we go back on Monday you will be back to being a complete ass to me, still hating me." I snapped harshly.

He turned his head to look at me but I glared glared at him feeling tears sting my eyes, "you really think I would do that?" he asked quietly.

I nodded my head, "yes."

"Then you don't know me," he snapped angrily and stood up, "I'm not that much of a dick."

I rolled my eyes, "course not. No, you know what you are not even worth the calories I burn while talking to you. I'm done." I snapped.

"Done with what? With me? What about us?" Nathan shouted.

"This isn't High School Musical babe so don't expect me to carry on the words," I said sarcastically, "and there was no us! We kissed, get over it." I muttered.

Nathan glared at me and stormed over to me, "no, no I won't get over it because it fucking felt like something to me!" he yelled while breathing deeply.

I tensed up when he stared at me. He placed a hand behind my neck bringing my head forward, "and I know it felt like something to you as well," he whispered deeply.

"I... Nathan..." I stuttered.

He leaned forward and grazed his lips against mine before I turned my head away so he kissed my cheek instead.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore," I mumbled before pulling away and heading out of the music room. I closed the door before leaning against it and felt a tear fall down my cheek.

He was right, and I hated that he was right. I did feel something. But I shouldn't, he's the "bad boy" he's going to hurt me and I know it. I can't deal with being hurt again, not after the last time.

I grabbed my phone in a shaky hand and called Jay while I walked into Nathan's room.

"Lexi?" I heard Jay's voice, in the background I heard the music.

"Jay, can you do me a favour?" I asked as I packed up my things.

"Sure what's wrong?" he asked and the loud music wasn't as loud. He probably went outside

I took a shaky breath, "can you pick me up from Nathan's? Wait do you know where he lives?"

"Yeah I do. I'll be there in ten, wait outside alright," Jays calming voice said.

"Thanks Jay, means a lot," I smiled before hanging up.

I lifted my bags onto my shoulders. I ran a hand through my hair before leaving Nathan's room and walking downstairs quickly.

"Lexi are you alright?" Karen asked confused.

I smiled at her and wiped my cheeks, "oh erm yeah. Guess my mum left? Sorry about her. I'm heading back to the dorm actually, Jay is picking me up."

Karen frowned, "alright sweetie, just remember you are always welcome here and I am always here if you need to talk."

I nodded my head, "yeah I know, I should really go. Thanks Mrs Sykes." I said and walked to the door.

"It's Karen, Lexi," she laughed.

I smiled, well tried to at least before opening the door, "see you later I guess," I said waving before leaving.

I waited outside before Jay's car pulled up. He got out and walked over to me me. He took my bags before pulling me into a hug.

"You don't have to tell me, I know. Trust me, you like him," Jay whispered.

I took a shaky breath before I broke down crying, "but I don't want to like him," I cried.

Jay laughed slightly, "but you do. It's messed up yeah but he likes you back, you two just need to stop being stubborn and just agree that you like each other."

"Isn't this cute," we heard Nathan's cold voice say.

I looked away from Jay and saw Nathan on his porch, "Nath, mate I'm taking her back to her dorm," Jay said and started walking towards his car.

Nathan walked over to us and glared at me, "fucking slut. Moving onto another guy already?"

I winced but said nothing while Jay stood in between us, "back off Nath. Don't talk to her like that," Jay defended.

Nathan rolled his eyes and pushed Jay's chest, "you are meant to be my mate," Nathan spat.

"I am your mate but until you start acting a whole lot nicer to Lexi I will stick by her because you have changed." Jay snapped and pushed Nathan away before putting my bags into the car.

Nathan looked at me and took a step back before he walked back into his house not saying anything. I wiped my cheeks before getting into Jay's car.

-----

A/N: soooooo what do you think? Like it? Remember to comment and vote guys! Thanks for reading!

~Charlotte