Chapter XXII -- Crossbow Lesson

We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun.

- Unknown

"Cici! Cici! Cici!" I turned to see Carl running towards me, I was eating breakfast with Glenn and Beth. The young boy sat in front of me, next to Beth, and all I could see at first was his very big smile and how his eyes were filled with excitement.

"Calm down, Carl, what is it?" I muttered, I was still half asleep and very tired, I wasn't ready for all this excitement.

"Guess what? Guess what?"

"You grew an inch?" Beth said sarcastically, Carl just glared at the blonde girl.

"I don't know Carl," I said quickly, seeing Carl opening his mouth to say something, probably mean, to Beth. "Tell me, what is it?"

"I'm going on a run with my dad!" he exclaimed excitedly, and then his smile left for a bit. "He said Michonne is coming with us."

"You don't have to be scared of her, I promise, Carl."

"Hmm," he said unsure. "Maybe I can ask dad to let you come, would you like to?"

"I would love to but," I told him with a sad smile. "I promised your dad I was, uh, taking care of Judith," I lied quickly.

"But Beth does that."

"I know but Beth can't shoot a gun if she is holding Judith, that's why I'll stay, to keep them both safe."

"But..."

"I promised your dad, I'll go next time."

"So you knew?" he asked me.

"That you were going? No, I would have told you otherwise, I only knew I had to stay" I lied again. "But I'm so happy Rick is taking you, while you are in the car you better tell him to take us both next time, it's not fun staying here."

"I will for sure," Carl told me, standing up. "I'll go get ready."

I smiled as I saw Carl almost running out of our dining place, he was so excited about this, I knew he would be. I wanted Rick to tell him about the run, that's why I didn't tell him myself. I had nothing to do in there, I shouldn't interfere.

"What are we supposed to do today?" I asked Glenn, who just shrugged his shoulders. "We can't go out, there's nothing to do inside, aren't any books in here or some board games or something?"

"My dad found a bible," Beth told me. "You could read it."

"Okay," I said nodding.

"And you have watch after lunch," Glenn told me.

"Alright," I said. "I haven't been on watch since I got here but sure, whatever to help you all."

I looked to the other table next to ours. Hershel, Axel, Sean and my mother were there. Hershel was saying some things to Sean, whose hair now was a bit below his shoulders, he had worn it in a high ponytail everyday until now so I hadn't realized how long his light brown hair was.

I also noticed Axel and my mother being way too close to each other, he was saying some things in her ear and she laughed at whatever he said. I also noticed how he tried to grab her hand under the table, she didn't let him but she didn't look angry at him, she actually smiled.

"Hey, come on!" someone said to me, sticking their hand out in front of my face. I shook my head and focused on the person in front of me, it was Daryl.

"What?" I asked confused, looking at his face and then at his hand.

"Come on."

I took his hand, wondering what all this was about. I caught Beth's raising her eyebrows at me before Daryl pulled me with him. I didn't object, I just let him take me to wherever he was taking me.