Chapter XV -- Illusory Safety

"It can take years to mold a dream. It takes only a fraction of a second for it to be shattered."

– Mary E. Pearson, The Kiss of Deception

After the funeral Andrea, Shane, T-Dog, Daryl and I got on a truck and went all around the farm to check the fences and to kill walkers if we found them inside or close to the property.

After the funeral Hershel invited us to move in with him and his family. He probably finally realized how dangerous the world had become now.

"It's going to be tight with eighteen people in the house," Rick said.

"Don't worry about that," Hershel told him. "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up..." "With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell," Maggie added.

"She's right," Hershel said."We should have moved you in a while ago."

"All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors," Rick told us. "Facing out toward the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sight-lines on both sides of the property. T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house, keep track of everyone coming and going."

"What about standing guard?" T-Dog asked.

"I need you and Daryl on double duty."

"Gotcha."

"I'll stock the basement with food and water, enough that we can all survive there a few days if needed," Hershel told us as he carried some boxes inside.

"What about patrols?" Andrea asked.

"Let's get this area locked down first after that, Shane will assign shifts while me and Daryl take Randall off-site and cut him loose."

"We're back to that now?" Shane asked, sounding not happy about it.

"It was the right plan first time around," Rick told him. "Poor execution."

"That's a slight understatement."

"You don't agree, but this is what's happening," Rick told Shane."Swallow it – Move on."

"You know that Dale's death and the prisoner, that's two separate things, right?" Shane said. "You wanna take Daryl as your wingman, be my guest."

"Thank you."

"You got it."

We packed all our stuff and put them on the truck so we didn't have to carry everything to the house, we were just walking to the house, following the trunk when Carl approached me, he looked nervous and wouldn't look up at me.

"Hey Cici, can I talk to you?"

"Of course," I told him, putting an arm around his shoulder, stopping in our tracks. "What is it?"

Carl looked behind me, towards the others. He made sure the rest were far enough from us to not hear us and made sure no one was looking at us as well and then took out a gun, I opened my eyes wide in shock and quickly took it from his hands.

"I took it from Daryl's motorcycle," he told me. "If he found out I took it, he'd kill me."

"He won't kill you, Carl," I said, making sure the safe was on. "Why did you take it, though?"

"It's my fault that Dale died. If I had..."

"Carl, why would you say something like that? A walker..."

"I saw that walker," he exclaimed, interrupting me. "I was going to shoot it. He was stuck in the mud. I was – I was throwing rocks at him and stuff. But I was going to do it, shoot it right in the head. And it – it got free, came after me and I ran away. If I had killed it, Dale would still be here."