Chapter VIII -- Alone

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."

― José N. Harris, MI VIDA: A Story of Faith, Hope and Love

The group had looked for the two missing girls without rest. The trail went cold the first day. They all went into the woods the following day but had no luck either.

Carol was a complete mess. Her husband died some days ago then her two girls, the people she loved the most, were gone. She kept her hopes up, though, or at least tried to. She was going to find them, she couldn't give up on them now, she had done that her whole life. They needed her more than ever now.

It had been more than twenty-four hours now since they went missing and some people were starting to lose hope, especially Shane, Oliver and Sean.

Unfortunately the search had to be stopped. Carl had been accidentally shot by a man named Otis, who was hunting a deer.

The man told Rick to take him to Hershel, an old man in his early seventies. Rick had no choice but to take his boy there.

The place where Hershel lived with his two daughters, Jimmy, Otis and his wife, Patricia, was perfect, it was like taken out of a dream. It seemed like nothing bad had happened there, like if the place was immune to the apocalypses. It looked like what the world looked before all of this happened.

But Rick didn't notice any of that, he was scared to death about his boy. He kept bleeding and came in and out of consciousness.

One of Hershel's daughter was kind enough to offer to go look for Rick's wife. He needed her, he wasn't strong enough to do this on his own.

Shane and Otis had left to a school to find medical supplies Hershel needed to do a surgery on Carl to remove the six fragments of the bullet.

It was already getting dark again when Glenn and Teresa had to take T-Dog to the farm. He had cut his arm really bad with one of the cars when he hid from the walkers on the road. He had a blood infection and he was going to die if he didn't find antibiotics and soon.

Andrea, Dale, Oliver, Sean, Daryl and Carol stayed in the highway, inside the RV, in case the girls came back. It would be devastating for them to be able to get back and find out the group, especially their mother, had left them. They couldn't do that to them.

Daryl was the guy who didn't give a crap about anyone. He was rude and wasn't afraid to speak his mind. But deep inside, he cared. He was worried about the two girls and he really wanted to find them, he just couldn't leave them and give up. Some people were starting to lose hope but not him.

He even went out to look for them on the second night, Andrea joined him but not to look for them, she just wanted to get away, she needed some time to think things through.

Only a few miles away, Shane had successfully come back with the medical stuff that Hershel needed, but unfortunately Otis didn't make it back.

Carl's surgery was a complete success, even when Hershel was just a veterinarian. Meanwhile, Patricia and Maggie, Hershel's oldest daughter helped T-Dog with his injury. Some of Merle's pills for the clap saved his life.

The following day they all woke up very early. Dale finally drove to the farm to meet the others. Glenn drove the car Shane had fixed back in the highway while Daryl drove the motorcycle and Oliver drove his own car.

"How is he?" Dale asked.

"He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people," Lori answered him with a smile.