XXXI -- A Rat

"Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody."

― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The next morning everyone was being extremely delicate with me, like if with just a bad glance I would break down. It was quite annoying to say the truth, I missed her already and I was sad but I was okay.

Michonne was the only one that wasn't treating me differently. She sat next to me during breakfast and informed me they weren't able to fix the fence yesterday, she told me they killed a lot of the walkers with knives, being safely behind the last and only good fence, because there were too many out there and they would be wasting their ammo, because more came walking in now that was no gate.

"They opened the gate from Merle's cell," she told me. "I don't know how to feel about that."

"He won't do anything stupid, he is loyal to Daryl and he has nowhere else to go. He tried to save me and I trust he won't harm us."

Michonne just scoffed at me and stood up. I sighed and stood up as well, I was going back to my cell when I walked in front of Rick, Glenn, Hershel, Daryl and even Michonne had joined them, discussing what to do with our situation out there.

"I'll get up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence," Daryl said. I stopped walking and stayed next to Michonne, they all looked at me not knowing what do or say.

"We can't access the field without burning through our bullets," Hershel said, breaking the silence.

"So we're trapped in here," Glenn exclaimed irritated. "There's barely any food or ammo."

"Been here before. We'll be all right," Daryl told him.

"That's when it was just us, before there was a snake in the nest!"

"Man, we gonna go through this again?" Daryl exclaimed, obviously having enough of Glenn's bullshit. "Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now, get used to it!"

Daryl angrily walked away, going up the stairs, two at a time. I wanted to go after him but I decided to stay, maybe I could help.

"Seriously, Rick, I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly," Glenn said.

"I can't kick him out," Rick exclaimed.

"I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you!"

"Merle has saved me more than once, the other day he just saved me from my imminent death," I spoke, everyone turned to me again, not knowing what to say without breaking me, I just sighed out of frustration, I wasn't a porcelain doll, damn it.

"Merle has military experience. He may be erratic, but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother." I heard Hershel saying.

"What if we solve both problems at once? Deliver Merle to the Governor, bargaining chip. Give him his traitor, maybe declare a truce."

"How can you even think like that?" I exclaimed horrified. "Merle is a person too!"

"He didn't consider me that when he had me there, when he had Maggie there! He didn't think I was a person when he tortured me! He threw a walker at me, Cecilia! I was tied to a chair, I almost died!" Glenn shouted at me just before he stormed away.

As yesterday, the conversation ended in nothing. We were trapped inside the prison and didn't know what to do. It was too dangerous to go out there, not only because of the walkers but also because of the Governor and his people. He could come back at any time.