Chapter XIV -- Group's Broken

"There are moments of frustration in life. You must build good relations to support you in these moments. You must also learn to courage yourself and decide to stay determined in life."

― Lailah Gifty Akita, Think Great: Be Great!

Since I wasn't able to be with Beth anymore I ended up spending the night with Daryl. During dinner my mum did smile at me but I wasn't ready to sleep in the same tent with her. We hadn't talked since we found Sophia in the barn and we hadn't even talked much before that.

When I woke up this morning Daryl had already left. I put on my pair of jeans and a clean shirt very quickly in case Daryl could come back. I also put on a belt because my jeans were so loose they fell from me. I guess I needed to gain some weight back.

When I walked out of the tent and walked to where they had set camp, I saw Lori, Carl, Andrea, Glenn, my mother, Shane, Sean, Rick, Dale, Maggie, Teresa and Oliver. Daryl had just approached them a few seconds before I did. He had his crossbow over his shoulder and had his hand over the strap, I noticed his knuckles were bloody. He noticed I was looking at his hand so he just lowered it, got it out of my sight.

"Boy there's got a gang, thirty men," Daryl informed. "They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead and our women, they're gonna –" he made a brief pause to look at me. "They're gonna wish they were."

"No one goes near this guy!" Rick ordered.

"Rick, what are you going to do?" Lori asked him.

"We have no choice. He's a threat. We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just going to kill him?" Dale said, looking straight at Rick in disbelief.

"It's settled. I'll do it today," Rick said, walking away. Dale went after him.

Daryl walked away too but towards his tent, in the opposite direction. I followed him. He said nothing and he looked a little bit uncomfortable, probably because he knew what I wanted to talk about.

"How did you get that information out of him?" I asked once we were out of everyone's earshot.

"Why do you want to know? All you need to know is that his people is dangerous!" he said sternly as he kept walking, he even quickened his pace.

"I just need to know."

"Does it make a difference?" I just gave him a look, making him sigh. "I beat him, alright? But I don't regret it because I wouldn't have found out otherwise!"

"You are not a bad guy, Daryl. Why didn't they send Shane?"

"Look, it doesn't matter, I did it and I can't change it. All you need to know is that these people will kill us all if they find us, you have no idea what he said to me!" he said, raising his voice. "They are rapists, alright? If they come here... I'm just trying to protect you, okay? If we have to kill him to be safe then that's what we have to do."

"I don't even care if they kill him or not," I said, it came out harsher than I intended, though. "I just don't like that you are always sent to do the dirty job."

"Someone has to do it," he said simply.

Once we reached his camp site again, he showed me a few arrows he had made himself and was showing me how to do one when we saw Dale coming our way. Daryl grunted.

"The whole point of me coming up here is - to get away from you people," he said as Dale got close enough to hear him.

"Gonna take more than that," Dale told him. "Many of us are concerned about you, your new role in the group."