Chapter V -- CDC

"This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper."

 T.S. Eliot

"We are not going," Morales announced.

After burying the dead, everyone had agreed to go to the CDC. Glenn was the only one that told me at dinner. We packed everything last night so we could leave first thing today.

"We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people," his wife said.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back," Rick warned him.

"We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family."

"You sure?"

"We talked about it. We're sure."

"All right."

Rick then knelt and looked inside his bag and got out a gun and gave it to Morales, who thanked him. Daryl didn't seem so happy about that.

Everyone then said their good-byes to the family. Most people had tears in their eyes, especially the kids. I shook hands with Morales and his wife and hugged the two kids.

"Take care, alright?" I told them. The two of them nodded sadly.

The girl moved past me and bear-hugged Sophia, both of them were on the verge of tears, when they pulled away the girl gave Sophia her doll, and that made her shed the first tear. I moved next to Sophia and wrapped my arms around her.

"Everything will be fine," I muttered even when I had no idea if it was true or not.

"Channel 40 if you change your minds," Shane told Morales just before we all got into the cars.

I was driving with Teresa and Oliver in Oliver's car. My mother's Cherokee was full, Rick, Lori, Carl, Sophia and my mum were in it and besides, it's more fun to be with my friends. I asked Glenn if he wanted to come with us but he loved being around Dale and learning stuff, so he said he would come with me next time.

There were seven vehicles in total, Morales' car, my mother's Cherokee, Shane's Jeep, Daryl's blue truck, T-Dog's van, Dale's RV and Oliver's red Mini Cooper. Most people said we should leave one car behind, someone of us could go with Daryl and the other two with Shane but Oliver didn't want to leave his car behind. T-Dog, Daryl and Shane refused as well.

"I actually liked it there," Teresa told us, she was in the passenger seat. "So different from New York."

"I thought you were a city girl," I said, taking a quick glance at her because I was driving. Oliver was in the back seat, he said he was going to try to take a nap, he couldn't sleep last night.

"Me too but for a change, it was nice."

After that most of the drive was quiet. We watched sadly at the world and what it had become, a very unfriendly place with dangers in every corner. We saw a few walkers on the road, some blood stains on the pavement as well. It was pretty sad and scary as well.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed since we left the mountain but Dale stopped his RV, he was in the front so everyone stopped their cars and got out as well to see what the problem was.

Teresa and I got out of the car, Oliver was sleeping so we just left him there, in the back seat while we went to see what was wrong.

"I told you we'd never get far on that hose." We heard Dale saying.