Chapter I -- Atlanta

"Confidence, courage and determined spirit are vital for surviving hard times."

― Lailah Gifty Akita

"Shit, shit, shit!" I cursed a minute after we all heard gunshots close to where we were.

One member of our group took the binoculars and turned his attention to the streets as we all gathered on the edge of the rooftop of the building we were at.

Most people had similar reactions to mine, we were screwed, dead, now all of those things knew we were here.

"Give me the radio," the guy with the binoculars said to no one in particular.

"What for?" I asked suspiciously.

"I'm going to help him," he says simply, trying to hide how nervous he was.

"Are you crazy?" A blonde woman in her middle thirties, shouted at the Asian boy.

Nevertheless, the other woman of the group, Jacqui, reached for the radio and threw it at Glenn. I just shook my head and crossed my arms, not believing he was actually considering to do this.

"You are going to get us all killed," I told him before I walked away from him and joined this older man that was away from the group, not giving a shit about what they wanted to do.

"We're all screwed," he said to me but never looked up at me. I sighed.

"I know."

"Hey, you! Dumb ass, hey, you in the tank. Cozy in there?" I heard Glenn saying through the radio and I sighed again.

                                                                                                 *** 

"You can't risk your life for a stranger! I shouted, trying to get some sense into Glenn, who was going to go out and rescue the idiot who was stuck inside the tank.

He said nothing, he just ignored me and walked past me and went down the stairs, followed by Andrea, T-Dog, Jacqui and Morales while I stayed on the roof with Merle, not wanting to see how my friends die.

Most people don't like Merle, he's a trouble maker and usually is offensive and rude towards others. He cares about no one but his younger brother and mostly himself. He's reckless and volatile and has quite a temper but I stand him because he had stood up for me, he comfronted my father a few times in the last month. Besides, if you get on his good side is your gain, better have him as an ally than an enemy.

"Not excited to meet our visitor?" He asked me, still not looking at me, his southern accent was very thick.

"If he ever gets to come inside I'll meet him," I say. "Eventually."

I sat against the wall as Merle continues to watch over the "sick" people who had invaded Atlanta, who had taken over our life and terrorize us in our dreams and reality. Who would knew I would run away, hide and be afraid of dead people, dead walking people, that is.

My thoughts were interrupted by a gunshot, followed by another. I stood up quickly and tried to stop Merle from shooting at the dead.

"What the hell are you doing?" I shouted.

"Let me be, girl," he said in an annoyed tone before he shot another one.

"Don't you see this is pointless? There are hundreds of them!"

"Hey, Dixon, are you crazy?!" Morales came through the door, screaming at Merle, followed by everyone else. Merle just chuckled and shot again.

"Hey! Y'all be more polite to a man with a gun! Huh? Ah! Only common sense," he exclaimed turning around to face the group, raising his weapon a bit to emphasize the last past.