Chapter 6 -- Countdown

"Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."

 Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was Daryl sleeping on a coat next to the couch. He was on his back and had an arm over his forehead, his breaths were deep and even, he looked so peaceful.

I had a slight headache and my throat was a bit dry but I was good compared to the amount of alcohol I had the night before. I usually don't get hangovers but I think I probably drank more last night than ever before.

I sat up and stretched, my back cracked a bit. I stood up and carefully walked out of the room to not wake up Daryl, he looked like an angel now and I didn't have the heart to wake him up and he would kill me if that happened.

I couldn't shower last night so I stepped into the shower and I felt like I was in heaven as the hot water touched my body. I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy this. I can't even remember the last time I had a decent shower, it seemed like so long ago.

After what felt like eternity, I finished my shower and got dressed in clean clothes and put a towel around my head, feeling clean for the first time since all of this started, then I heard my stomach grumbling so I stood up and walked out of the bathroom, when I passed my room I noticed Daryl was still sleeping, I smiled at him before walking into the hallway and closing the door as silently as I could.

"Hey," I heard a voice as soon as I walked out of the room. I turned to see Sean, fully dressed.

"Hi," I muttered and kept walking, flashbacks of last night appeared on my mind and I regretted it, I don't want Sean to misunderstand what happened last night, we were drunk, it happened but nothing else will, I'm not interested in him or anyone.

"You okay?"

"Just have a killing hangover," I lied.

Once I walked into the dining room I saw almost everybody in there. Rick and Shane looked quite bad, probably not better than me. Dale was always his cheerful self, Glenn didn't even looked up at me when I greeted him, he really looked like crap, poor him. Carl and Sophia smiled at me and made me sit in between them. Daryl and Teresa were the only people that weren't here.

"How do you feel?" Oliver asked me, he didn't look so bad.

"I'm good," I said.

"Noticed you walked in with Sean right behind you," he whispered in my ear. "Something happened, didn't it?"

"Absolutely not!" I exclaimed a bit too loud, almost everyone turned to look at us, I just smiled innocently at them. "We bumped in the hallway and came here together, that's it."

"You sure?"

"Of course!" I said giving him a look. He knew better than to push it. "Besides, I'm sharing with Daryl, so you can ask him if you don't believe me.

"Don't ever, ever, ever let me drink again," Glenn muttered before Oliver could reply to me, I turned to look at Glenn and he looked like he was going to puke at any minute. "How come you are not as bad as me even when you drank more?" he asked, looking back at me.

"I'm just cool like that," I said shrugging. "But you can't really be sure about who drank more."

Then Jenner joined us, I hadn't even noticed he wasn't here and I hadn't noticed either that Daryl had joined us by now. He was looking down at his food and whenever he looked up he wouldn't look at me, he couldn't be avoiding me, could he? I guess he just feels sick.