27- trust

the front door creaked open as i laid in my bed, engulfed in the mauve duvet.

i heard the soft pat of footsteps against the hardwood floor from the front door to the hallway to the bedroom door.

the door opened and a sliver of light shone on my face. i closed my eyes.

i heard Shawn opening drawers and taking off his clothing. he walked to the bathroom and i lifted my eyelids slightly, and what i saw appalled me.

i saw a back full of marks and bruises up and down his chest and scratch marks down his back.

i silently gasped as i turned around to face the wall on the opposite side of the bed.

i breathed in and out slowly, trying to convince myself that what i had seen wasn't what i thought it was. my thoughts quickly consumed my mind and i fell into a deep sleep.

i woke up the next morning to the sound of coffee brewing in the kitchen as i grabbed my slippers and slid them on.

"hey babe," Shawn said as i shuffled into the kitchen. he was wearing a long sleeve shirt and long sweatpants, what a surprise. he was hiding the love marks made by her, the ones that weren't from me.

"hey," i said, walking over to him and nonchalantly lifting his shirt, but he held it down.

"woah, come one, you just woke up. we can wait," he said, spinning me around and kissing my lips with such passion, pretending like he loved me.

"i know what you've been doing. your late nights, your bruises and scratch marks. do you actually think i'm that oblivious?" i said, raising his shirt and observing the now black, purple, and red bruises lining his torso.

he said nothing. he just hung his head.

"oh, so you know what you've been doing, huh? you know you've been cheating on me?" i asked, rhetorically, shoving him away from me with my small hands.

"i can explain," he said, still looking down.

"bullshit," i said with a shaky laugh. "you think that by 'explaining' you're just going to get me right back on you? really?" i said, my tone firm and steady, although iwanted to breakdown.

he continued to look at the floor.

"it's people like you that my mom used to always warn me about, and i never thought you, of all people, would be the one to do this," i said, sitting down on the couch, my eyes puffy from the tears, now uncontainable.

"i never should've trusted you."

***

yikes i'm bad at updating

(edit: oh this is horrible i'm cringing at myself)

-lindsey