11- café

i strolled into my favorite coffee shop on a breezy Monday morning. it was full of people, but my window seat was vacant, as usual.

"good morning miss y/n," Mrs. McCarter, the owner of the small café called out to me from behind the counter. she was like a mother to me, seeing as i have been coming to this place since i was a little girl. she always treated me as if i were her own daughter.

her short, pudgy figure and bouncy brown ringlets scurried over to my table as i took a seat.

"good morning Mrs. McCarter, how's your morning been?" i asked her as she leaned over my table 

"quite busy, but not too stressful," she replies with swiftness in her tone. "so, y/n we have a new employee here, 17, single, and quite a handsome boy. he seems like your type. i'll have him come take your order," she says with a cheeky smile and a wink as she pats my hand and strides back towards the register.

moments later, i look back over to the counter and see Mrs. McCarter pointing a tall, brunette young man towards my table. they continued to stare back and forth between me and each other.

he walked over to my table as i straightened out my sundress, looking down at my menu, even though i knew what i was getting.

"hi, my name's Shawn. Mrs, McCarter was telling me you were a regular," he said as he looked down at me, his beautiful dark eyes connected with mine. i couldn't break my eye contact, they were like a magnet. a beautiful, mesmerizing magnet.

"Miss?" he said as he leaned in a bit closer, waving his large hands in front of my face.

"oh, excuse me, i'm so sorry. i'll have a large coffee, decaf, with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. please," i say in a quiet voice. "he probably thinks i'm some psychopath," I thought to myself as he strode away.

he arrived back at my table minutes later, holding my coffee in one hand and his order book in the other.

"one coffee for y/n," he said as he set the scorching latte down on the mahogany table, smiling a bit.

"thank you, Shawn, was it?" i asked, but i already knew the answer.

"yep. enjoy," he said as he turned around on his heels and walked back behind the counter, then back into the employee break room, not looking up from the ground, even once.

"i blew it. i stared at him earlier and blew it all, right into pieces," these thoughts raced through my mind at a million miles a minute.

it wasn't long before Mrs. McCarter returned to my table and took a seat at the chair across from where i was sitting.

"you know y/n, the new boy hasn't stopped smiling since he took your order for that first time," she said as she looked into my eyes and grabbed both of my shaky hands in her small pudgy ones.

"really? i've been thinking about him since i first saw him," i said, as i looked down at my lap, smiling at the thought of him even thinking about me.

she got up and walked over to my side of the table and kissed me on the forehead before waking back behind the cash register.

Shawn soon returned to my table, holding the check. neither of us looked up from the ground this time. Mrs. McCarter probably had a chat with the both of us.

"thank you Shawn." i said quietly as he quickly walked to another table to take someone else's order.

$4.32
coffee, decaf
-whipped cream
-cinnamon sugar

the typical bill for my coffee, accept there was something i could see scribbled on the back of the paper.

for y/n
###-###-####
I think you're beautiful, by the way
-Shawn

my heart skipped a beat as i read the third line of his note, over and over again.

he thought i was beautiful.

i quickly got up from my seat and walked over to Shawn, who was now behind the register. i handed him the check along with a 5 dollar bill.

"Miss, it was only $4.32," ge said politely as we made eye contact once again, but quickly looking, again, back at the floor.

"you can keep the change," i said to him
as i headed for the door, this time, feeling some sort of empowerment rushing though my blood. i held on to the receipt tightly. i pushed the door open as i looked back, the gentle breeze blowing my hair to the side.

from all the way across the room, i saw Shawn, starring at me, and for once, we didn't break eye contact.

ye shot me a quick smile just before i slipped out the front door.

Mrs. McCarter was right. he totally is my type, and i will totally be calling him tonight.

***

this was a cute-ish concept

-lindsey