4. Lonely ... or not?

Levy's P.O.V.

Her mind just couldn't stop analyzing all these really quick events that happened just a few minutes ago. And even if they were short, just maybe not even one hour in her whole lifetime, it changed everything. Fortunately, during their walk through the forest, she had a lot of time to think.

Probably because her savior, Gajeel, the half dragon was focused on everything else instead of her. Since he landed with her somewhere in the middle of the dark forest, she was totally lost. She had never been in this region and now she hated her fear of heights. If she had looked down, she would have known where she was. But well, stupid her had to be afraid of everything. She still knew the plants and trees, but these were spread everywhere in that forest.

When he had stomped off one hour ago, following no specific track, just stormed through the bushes. Surprisingly, he still made nearly no noise. The dragon seemed to be one with his surroundings, as if he knew every single tree, bush and branch on the ground. But it was really hard to follow that big, totally blunt dragon. One of his steps were maybe two or three of hers so she had run now and then to not drop behind him.

But falling always behind him also had a good site. So, she could regard him with curiosity. He was really big, he was three heads taller than her, maybe 2 meters at all. Muscles adorned his body and because she had a good sight of them due to him, wearing no shirt, she was fascinated. Not only by the muscles that clearly showed her how often he must train to gain these, but also by the many scars. He had scars on his back, on the front, on his arms, nearly everywhere. Was he fighting this often? Maybe he was a killer and she ... just his next victim? Her stupid mind abandoned these thoughts and focused back on him. His hair, thick and black, was really long. Maybe he would let her brush it one time?
Levy goddammit, just stop thinking!
Back to him, his wings were really incredible. Each of them were 3 meters long when he spread them. But he also could fold them on his back so he could wander silent through the landscape. He was a half dragon, not only the wings made that visible, also his iron skin and big horns, that were growing out of his head. His wings didn't have feathers, instead they were covered with iron colored scales, all of them gleaming in different shades of grey.

And still, though he looked like many people died in his hands before, she felt totally secure walking with him through that new area. Something told her he wouldn't harm her. After all, he had saved her from her friends.
Her friends ....
She wanted to cry, but did her best to blink her tears away.
How could they hunt her, how could they ever want to murder her? These were her friends, nearly the whole town liked her or at least accepted her. Jet and Droy, her BEST friends were the followers that screamed the loudest. It wasn't right to trust them, humans were cruel and vicious, you couldn't trust them. At least not the humans that lived together with her. She felt tired, small and lonely. In comparison to her life before, not a big difference. Since the attack and the lost of her friend, she had always been alone, hiding from the others. Back then, she had friends who understood her, friends who liked her and protected her from everything that could harm her. But now, she was alone again. Well, not completely alone.

By now, they surely walked for hours without talking and she slowly got tired and dropped farther behind. Gaining her last powers she had on that horrible day, she ran up to him.

"Gajeel ... where are we going to?"

At first, she thought he couldn't hear what she said, but when she wanted to ask him again, he scratched his neck and looked at her for one little moment.

"Ya'll see shrimp, somewhere safe", he responded, still walking along with the same speed. She finally found her bravery and gripped his hand. His grey skin was warm, he felt metallic but still human. He stopped immediately in his track and looked down at his hand, a look full of confusion.

"Please don't go so fast, I'm not as fast as you are. Don't leave me behind". His eyes focused on hers when he yanked his hand out of hers, just looking at her as if she was an undiscovered species. One mistake followed the other. It was really hard to see what he felt right now, but she was sure she made a mistake.

She swallowed and tried to avoid his eyes. Looking down at her hands, she hoped she wouldn't die in the next few seconds.
"If you don't want to, you can go as fast as you are happy with, I can run along if you want but just - Gajeel what are you- Kyahhhhhhh!".

Her eyes focused on his body when he bent down during her stammering, reached out for her and wrapped his arms around her thighs. Just one second later, her body laid over his shoulder, her head hanging down, swinging back and forth while he kept on walking. His hands held her thighs tight against his shoulder so she wouldn't fell down. At least he wasn't able to look at her flushed face.

"Geez shrimp, you're really too slow.
And quite heavy too for being such a shorty, gihihi".

Her anger suddenly faded away when she realized something. He joked with her. You don't joke with someone you want to kill. That's the normal behavior, isn't it? Levy really didn't know, but she stopped speaking and let her hands hang down her body. He was quite comfortable. She couldn't resist laying her hands on his back, touching a few of his scars. Gajeel didn't talk to her anymore and she tried to relay a bit. If he wouldn't be someone who could easily kill her, she would have shouted at him. Punched him. But getting carried by that big lug was better than running through the forest anymore. After many other minutes past, he finally talked again with his deep voice.

"Why so quiet shrimp? Come on, that was just a joke, you're as light as a feather shorty."

Wait, he really thought he made her angry? He ... apologized? Well, not really apologizing but at least he asked her why she didn't talk to him anymore. That was a good sign ... maybe.

She sighed and closed her eyes.
"I just hope you aren't going to kill me or something."

He slowed down for a moment, just to return to his normal speed after a few seconds. She could feel his hand holding her closer and even striking over her thigh.

"Ya really think I would kill ya? I saved your ass down there shrimp, I ain't letting ya die now. Ya thought I saved ya just to kill ya myself later on? Wouldn't that be stupid?". His hushed voice made her cringe first, but then she recognized something. His back quivered because he was giggling.
Taking a deep breath she smiled and sighed against his skin.

"I don't know dragon. My town tried to kill me today, the town I have lived in the last years. Even my best friends hunt after me, they screamed the loudest of all of them. So, nothing seems logical to me right now. But if you want to kill me, just tell me, I can bear that", she said with a sad voice and wanted to cry.

He knelt down and let her stand back on her feet. Her whole body was shaking and she wanted nothing but laying in her bed with a thick book in her hands. She wanted her life back. When she looked up, the dragon still knelt in front of her. His hand raised her chin and she hurried to wipe the unshod tears away. The crimson eyes attracted her, she couldn't look away and saw, how the big bad dragon sighed. Totally annoyed.

"It's a wonder you could live there undiscovered for more than a week. They aren't your friend Shorty, they don't deserve that. Stop thinking about them, I am here and ya will soon meet someone else as well okay? We won't hurt ya."

Her smile came back to her lips and even reached her eyes. Even if he just wanted her to stop crying, he wasn't such a grumpy dragon.

"Okay. When do I meet that mysterious person?", she asked, her whole face gleaming with pleasure. He stood up and looked to his left, now grinning as well. Something definitely caught his eye.

"Gajeel, you didn't say you would bring a guest with you. How could you convince such a pretty young lady to -
Levy?!"

_____________________________________________________________
So, another chapter done and ready to be read.

If you enjoyed this story or have something else to say, I am happy about every comment and vote.