Chapter 23: Confusion

The healers confirmed what Roxas had guessed: Mella was sick. Below freezing temperatures in nothing but her outfit from Berna had not helped the matter. Throw in her reaction to magic poisoning and Rin’s mark, the healers were amazed Mella was still alive.

They fixed her up as well as they could and told her to take it easy.

“No magic, and don’t do anything to trigger that mark.” One of them called to Mella as Roxas led her off to who knew where.

“You heard the healer, Mella. Don’t piss off Rin.” Roxas chided, as if she was only a child.

“Rin needs to grow up. Tantrums don’t suit her.” Mella said grumpily, staring at the tapestries lining the corridor, depicting scenes of what looked to be Rhydona’s past. “Where are you taking me now?”

“Your new home.” Roxas said, staring straight ahead. “You’re going to be living in the tower above the library. As long as you’re in either of those two places, you can do whatever. Anywhere else, either Rin or I has to be with you.”

“Whatever.” Mella was beyond caring about what he had to say. How was she going to escape if she was trapped in a tower? Wait, how is Anya going to train me? How far can she project herself? There’s no way she’s up here…

Mella almost collided with Roxas, who had stopped in front of a pair of large wooden doors.

“We’re here.” Roxas threw the doors open and walked in, Mella following. As if I had a choice…

The library was like nothing like Mella had ever imagined. Row upon row of shelves towered over them, holding hundreds of books. Chunks of ice hung everywhere, illuminating the room with a soft glow. It looked…familiar somehow.

Mella blinked, and she wasn’t standing in that library anymore...

She was standing in the darkness as someone started talking.

The library was one of the few places she could hide from the whispers and snide comments that always followed her. Barely anyone came in here just to read like she did. Most of the others came in to study a spell and left right afterwards. But for her, the library was a safe haven.

Images exploded in front of Mella's eyes.

She was looking down at a book. She was in her usual corner curled up in an oversized armchair, hidden from the world.

"Hey, Mella! Bri's looking for you. Something about air magic lessons. Teacher's been waiting for you." She looked up. It was the boy, Drake.

"Drake, I've told you, my name is--ugh, what's the point? You'll still call me Mella."

"At last! Wisdom from the girl that's always reading." His green eyes sparkled with silent laughter.

Flash forward.

The sun was shining bright above the puffy white clouds. Something was fading into distance behind her. A bird soared next to her, and Mella couldn't help but whoop with glee.

She was free.

"Mella? Hey, wake up!"

Mella opened her eyes, and saw the ocean depths. Roxas it appeared, had caught Mella before she had hit the ground. Apparently these memories-for that's what they had been (she thought, anyways)-were important somehow.

"Mella?" Roxas whispered. Mella realized how close he was to her. And somehow…she was okay with it. Almost.

"Let me go, now." Mella pushed away from Roxas, ignoring her head, which had started to throb. Roxas set her down, his expression hurt-looking. He's trying to trick me, just like Alex and Gwen did. But I'm not going to fall for it again. "You said I was in the tower above the library. Where is it?"