Chapter 5: A Fiery Encounter

Mella woke up to silence. It took her a minute to remember where she was. She tried to remember what had happened before the cave, but it felt like someone was pressing in on her skull when she tried. She did know that there had been a fight, and two siblings with flaming hair. She sat up, more confused than ever.

How do I know that, but nothing else?

Dreams will only tell you so much, child.

Mella was shocked. Someone else's voice was in her head. She spoke out loud.

"Who's there? Who are you?"

Red and orange light shimmered near the bed, and an ageless woman with flaming red hair floated next to her. She was clothed in living flames, and she had flaming wings similar to a butterfly's. The only thing not fiery about her was her eyes, which were a calm sea-green.

"I am Lea, the fire spirit." Her voice was musical and entrancing. "You have many questions, young one. Most will be answered in time on their own, some not. I will answer three of them now, if you would like."

"Um…okay. I would appreciate that." Mella sat there, thinking. Three questions weren’t enough to explain much, so she had to choose wisely. Mella asked the simplest and most confusing thing of all.

"Alright. Lea, who am I?" Mella asked.

"You are Mella. You're a spirit elemental with the potential to do great things and learn how to use amazing talents. You are the future, and you're a part of something greater than yourself."

Lea's answer was cryptic. Mella didn't understand all of it, but she was determined to riddle it out later. She already wanted to ask her next question.

"Lea, what happened to me? I remember a fight at a temple and then I woke up in a cave."

"I cannot tell you that, child. It is one of those questions you have to find out on your own. You will learn in time. But I can tell you that you were taken. A fate worse than death was passed upon you, and you ended up here."

"That doesn't feel like an answer. You're hiding something from me. Tell me!" Mella did not want to be left in the dark.

"DO NOT TEST ME, CHILD. I AM NOT ONE TO BE TRIFLED WITH." Lea seemed to grow brighter in her anger and her eyes flashed dangerously. Mella scooted away from her. Lea's anger vanished, and was replaced with…pity? Sympathy? Mella couldn't tell.

"There is always a reason for everything, Mella, and there is a reason for me not to tell you of your past. Have patience, and you will learn."

Mella nodded, giving herself a mental never to start an argument with Lea in the future.

"You still have a question left, Mella. You may ask what you wish."

Only one question left. Mella didn't know what to ask. She wanted real answers, not riddles.

"I…I think I'm going to hold on to my last question. Is that okay? And that didn't count." Mella added hurriedly to the end.

Lea laughed. "You may keep your question, Mella. My presence here is starting to fade." Mella had noticed. Lea's form was blurring and fading, like the dying embers of a fire.

"I have three things to say to you, before I must leave. First, trust yourself. You might not understand why, but if you cannot trust yourself, then you are truly lost.

"Second, try to befriend the people you encounter. You never know when you may need aid.

"Thirdly, and this is your word of caution. Be wary of the twins. Everything is not as it seems."