Chapter 15: Stories, Gifts, & Trust

The dream of a memory never came. Something was blocking it, and Mella's head was fighting against itself and losing. Images flickered and died before they became clear.

The pieces marched on for ages, until they all faded and Mella opened her eyes.

"Oww…where am I?" Mella said, groaning and sitting up slowly. She was back in her room, and the sun was setting behind her. Kev was sitting at the far table, sleeping. Of course…

"Kev? Kev…ugh." He couldn't hear her. She would have to yell.

"KEV!!! WAKE UP!!" Mella yelled at the top of her lungs, and wincing afterwards. It wasn't helping the headache she had.

Kev jolted awake, brandishing a dagger, until he realized it was just Mella.

"Damn, Princess. Didn't know you could yell that loud." Kev said, putting the knife away.

"Oh, please. And why do you keep calling me Princess?"

"We have to keep watching over you like you're some sort of princess waiting to be rescued from a curse. It kinda stuck for me. How 'bout you? How you feeling?"

"I have a killer headache, but besides that I feel fine." Mella swung her legs out of bed and stood up.

"Where do you think you're going?" Kev asked, standing up.

"I need to find the quietest place possible right now. It's the only way to fix something. I can't explain now, but you have to trust me. Please." Mella pleaded.

Kev sighed. "Alex is going to kill me, but I don’t care. Take the stairs all the way up. It'll take you to the roof. Quietest place I can think of."

"Thanks, and find the others. I need to tell you guys some things."

Mella grabbed her flats and walked out the door and up the stairs. 'If you can't trust yourself, then you are truly lost.' I need others to trust me if I want to trust myself. I can't do this alone…Mella couldn't bear all these secrets anymore. She opened a door and walked out onto the roof.

Kev was right: it was quiet. It had a view of the lake and looking towards it was relaxing. Just like Berna, almost. Her headache started to fade, but that wasn’t the only reason she wanted somewhere quiet. She needed to ask a question.

“Nadai? Lady Nadai, I really need to ask you something. Please…” Mella called out to the empty air.

A light glinted off the water far below and rose up to meet Mella. It glowed brighter and transformed into the water spirit.

“I can only stay long enough to answer your question. Your friends are fast approaching.”

“Kai said I had magic poisoning. I think it came from the fire and water magic inside me. How do I learn water magic without getting sick?”

“That is something I have an answer for. Do you have my sister’s necklace?”

Mella nodded and handed Nadai the necklace. Nadai took it and started talking to Mella while the necklace started to glow.

“You’re right. The magic from Lea and my magic are fighting against each other and making you sick. The king of Rhydona is like that, except he has no favor with the spirits.

So that’s where Mella had heard of this. Myra had been telling her about Ursula and Stephen.

“He has the powers of fire and water.”

“He must get sick a lot.”

“I don’t want to be like him. I just want to be me and find out who I am!” Mella cried.