Chapter 20: Betrayed

Alex found Mella five seconds later and took her towards the sound of the music. Many couples were already dancing. Mella stopped abruptly.

"What is it, Mella?" Alex asked.

"This is a horrible time to say it, but I don't remember how to dance."

"Nah. You'll remember. You said when you were in Berna all that caused a memory was seeing a flame? Maybe dancing will be like that. We can watch right now, though, if you want."

They stood there, watching, listening to the music. The song sounded familiar somehow…

Music played below her as the other elementals danced. She was hiding up in the rafters just watching. No one had asked her to this festival, just like all the others. She didn't even go on her own. She was berated for crashing the dance, as if she didn't belong anywhere. No one was very sure what type of elemental she was, and no one had bothered asking her. She truly didn't know herself.

"Hey. You're ~Mella, right? Why are you hiding up here?" A boy had climbed up into the rafters, and was sitting nearby. He was an earth elemental, with startling green eyes and brown hair sticking out everywhere. She didn't hear part of what he said, just her last name. What is it with boys calling other people by their last name? Why do I even have a last name? No one else does…

"I wanted to hear the music and see the dancing." She said, staring down at the people spinning in circles.

"You know, no one's stopping you from dancing."

"Yeah, but no one wanted to ask out the elemental freak. Who are you anyways?" She muttered bitterly.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Drake. I don't think you're a freak. I think you need a friend. Will you dance with me?" He held out his hand to her. She looked at it warily and then took it. They carefully went back downstairs, where among the dirty looks from the others, Drake taught her how to dance with the music surrounding them…

"Mella?"

"Huh…what?" Mella came back to reality. Alex was waving his hand in front of her face.

"You spaced out and your eyes started glowing." Alex looked at her slightly worried.

"Oops, sorry about that. I thought you had noticed before. Memories make my eyes glow. You were right. I remember now."

Alex smiled. "Well then, may I have this dance?" He slipped something in his pocket and offered his hand.

They joined the dancers and moved with the music. It was entrancing, and as it changed, so did they. It had a life, the melody spun a story that had to be told. The dance was music, the music was a dance. Either way it was the most magical thing Mella had ever been a part of.

The song ended, and a new one began. This story was faster, less somber than its silenced sibling. The crowd of couples spun and laughed as the music took them on a journey. It went on and on, one story and symphony of magic after another, until Mella lost all track of time. All that mattered was the music, the dance, and Alex.

"You're an amazing dancer, Mella. You're just plain amazing." Alex said, the connection to the music fading.

"You are too. You, and Kai, and all the others are the greatest friends someone could ask for." Mella said, smiling.

Alex smiled, his grey eyes lighting up. But the light went dim and he stared off into space.

"Alex?"

"Oh, sorry. Gwen's talking in my head. She needs my help for something. It won't take long." Alex led her away from the other dancers near a glowing green building. "I'll be back in a moment." Alex said softly, kissing the back of her hand, and he left, weaving through the crowd.