Chapter 4: Training

"Have you no sanity, Myra?"

Rei wasn't taking well to Myra's idea at all and was starting to shout in the street, causing people to look around to find out what was going on.

“Rei, not so loud. There are people staring.”

Fine.” She hissed.

The pair walked back to Myra’s house. Myra went and closed the door to the room where Mella was still sleeping, and spoke a spell of silence on the door. She turned back to Rei.

“There, now you can be as loud as you want, Rei. She gestured to the kitchen table. “Sit down.”

Rei ignored the chair and started in on Myra. “You still haven’t answered me, Myra. Are you insane? This child appears from nowhere, passes out in the village square, and you want to give her training in fire magic?” Rei was on the verge of hysterics by now, and Myra was glad she had put the spell on the door.

“Rei, I’m not insane. Since when have I ever been insane? Besides,” Myra said calmly, “Mella’s been requested to be trained to use fire.”

“By who, may I ask? And when did you find out her name?” Her voice was laced with bitterness and skepticism.

"Mella, the girl, was awake for about half an hour. She didn't tell me much. She understands Ivayan and Rhynish, but she has no clue where she is and how she got here. She could've been born a week ago for what she remembers."

"Fine, but you still haven't given me a reason to train her." Rei pointed out peevishly.

Myra was starting to get annoyed with Rei's sarcasm and skepticism, but she told her, calmly and quietly:

"Lea spoke to me, too.”

Rei was silent, all of her anger and bitterness drained away, as the reality of what Myra said sank in. She finally sat down.

“Oh.” Was all she had to say. No one ever argued about anything a spirit said. If it was important enough for the spirits to speak to you, you followed their directions to the letter. Myra took advantage of Rei’s silence.

“Lea said something about the future Ivayan elementalist, saying that she suffered a fate worse than death, and that Mella should be trained in the way of fire.”

“But why would Lea bring up the elementalist. Do you think that this girl is the elementalist, Myra, seeing as she can speak Ivayan?” Rei asked. “Should she be trained?”

Myra was quiet. Lea said to trust my heart. But was does my heart say?

“Myra?”

“Hmm?” Myra said.

“Is she worth training?”

Myra’s heart finally decided, and it spoke for her.

“Yes, she’s worth training. I’m not saying she’s the one, but I think she needs to be trained. It’s Lea’s wish.”

“Very well. When she’s well again, bring her to my house and I'll begin her training." Rei sounded resigned. She knew she couldn't refuse the request of a spirit.

Rei got up. "I'm going to go home and prepare things for Mella. I'll see you then, Myra."

"Okay. And Rei," Myra said to Rei, who had one hand on the door. "You're not alone. I'm going to help you as much as I can, and hopefully we can help this girl find out what befell her. So, when you see her, please be kind to her. She's confused enough as is."

Rei nodded, and left without saying another word, leaving Myra to go back and watch over Mella.