Chapter 1 ~ Loner

{A/n}
Hi guys, if you ever read this book before you'd know that I published it a long time ago. However, I had unpublished it in order to do heavy editing. Hope you guys enjoy, and I did make a few changes through out the plot ;)
___________________________
Ξ FUTURE APOLOGIES Ξ
I'm aware that there'll be some mistakes even though I DID edit it. I am only one person, I did everything in my power to do my best! I hope you guys can over look it, because I'm beat from all the editing XD.

Sincerely ᏋᏉᏋᏞᎽᏁ

{Official publish on} April 26th, 2015

{Republish on} May 30th, 2016

{Word count} 3,169

* * *

Your POV

'Today's the day...' I thought, picking up a stack of slightly dusty notebooks and placing them into my grey backpack.

In a swift movement, I zip my backpack close, picking it up so I can observe it in the air. At the bottom of the backpack were ripped holes, scars of years the object had endure.

"Sis! It's our first day of school!" a little girl rushes into my room, tackling my left leg and latching onto it, with no hint of letting me go.

"Miya, did you pack your things?" I ask in a motherly tone, tossing my obsolete backpack on my bed. I bent down, quickly prying her body off my leg and lifting her up in my arms. I lean closer, giving a peck on the cheek while still holding her.

"Yes, sis, I didd!" she slurs the last word with a cute smile and returns the kiss on my cheek.

Miya was scrawny and small, and she had the same hair and skin color as me. She was fairly light in weight for an seven-year-old child, and she always wore an never-ending smile. Miya had a gift, she was always able to lighten any tense situation or make anyone smile, anyone. She is especially bright, and clever. Sometimes a bit too clever.

She's my whole world.

"I know you didn't pack, liar." I state, pinching the bridge of her nose then setting her down on the floor.

Miya giggles then lunges for my leg once again, giving it a bear hug and looks up at me. Her smile was like a contagious disease, no one could resist her personality.

"Hurry up, before we're late." I said, pinching on her cheeks lightly.

"I bet I can pack my stuff faster than you!" Miya says, her face turned into a determine expression. I smile back, taking a glance at my backpack that was on top of my bed, laying there, full and ready.

"I'll give you a minute head start, hurry or else I'll win!" I said, staring her down, copying her expression. Our e/c eyes squinting at each other, neither of us daring to blink.

"No cheating!" Miya shouts firsts, making me abruptly flinch. She jumps off my leg and bounds off into her room to try to win the little bet.

I smile, seeing her close the door to the room. Unawarely, I felt my lungs being drowned, causing me into a coughing fit. After calming myself down, I sensitively whiff the air again. The atmosphere smelt of bitter smoke.