Chapter 7 ~ The Past

[A/n]
What's your biggest pet peeve? If you don't know what a pet peeve is, it's something you dislike and you just hate it.

Note: Please wait until I give the ok to play the song.

{Official published} August 31, 2015

{Republished on} August 9th, 2016

{Word count} 2440

* * *

Your POV

Waking up earlier than usual, I crawled out of my bed without disturbing Miya's sleep and quietly changing into a different and comfortable outfit. My hand rest on the door knob, opening the door.

A thought struck me like a bolt of lightning, a question came along with the thought.

'I locked the door last night... So why is it unlocked?'

Twisting my head, I found nothing out of the ordinary or missing from the room. Everything was still in place as the way I remembered before I slept. Nothing loud woke me either.

'Why was it unlock?' I thought, but shook the topic away. 'As long as Miya's safe,'

I quietly climbed down the stairs, tiptoeing into the kitchen. Two unconscious men were sleeping on the table with poker chips and cards stuck on their faces. Luckily none of them was the man I met last night. I sigh a little, there was only two slices of bread for a single sandwich.

I made a peanut butter sandwich, then placing it into a brown bag. Quiet as a mouse, I sneaked back into my room, already finding a little girl dressed for today. I handed her the bag, but she stared at it then looking up at me.

"Where's yours big sis?"

"Mine is already in my backpack," I said at the tip of my tongue. "Lets go before the men downstairs wake up." I say before she could ask anymore questions. Miya nodded, zipping her backpack and placing her sandwich inside neatly.

From the years we spent living with our aunt, we learned that she had a gambling problem. Often we changed houses in order for her to run away her debt. She would mainly gamble with drunk men, sometimes when she would blackout she'd unknowingly bring one of them into her bedroom...

"Sis, I need help."

I shook out of my trance, seeing Miya entangled with the straps of her backpack. I smile, helping Miya slip on the straps then putting on my old backpack on.

"Come on, quiet, ok? Like a game," I said, smiling and pressing my finger over my lips. Miya nods, rubbing her eye and yawning. Holding her hand steadily, we left the house without wasting a minute. Like our everyday morning routine, we walked to Miya's school first. "I'm sorry Miya, we came to school, too, early."

"It's alright big sis! I already know why," she replies, looking up at me with a grin.

"I have the smartest seven-year-old sister in the world," I said, kneeling down and hugging her tightly, "and you're about to turn eight." I added.

"Yup! I'm only smart because big sis teaches me a lot of stuff!" Miya says, causing the both of us to laugh and arriving to the front doors of her elementary school.

"It's still early, do you want me to stay with you?" I ask, but Miya shook her head.

"I see my friends inside!" she says proudly, pointing at a direction. I followed her finger, seeing two small girls around the same age as her. They were waving at Miya, gesturing their hands for her to run to them.