Epilogue

I opened the door to my house. As I hung my coat, Gold came running to me.

"Mommy, Lizzy came over and left some Lasagna for us. She said she'd made some for herself and made some for us because she knows that you love Lasagna. She told me to tell you that her son's ball got punctured. I'm not sure if I was supposed to tell this to you or if she was just telling me but it doesn't really doesn't matter, does it? Also, daddy called and said he'd come home late today. He's volunteering at the orphanage again. And I didn't go to school today because I didn't want to. Don't scold me because I'm already ashamed." She smiled at me.

"Where did your front tooth go!?" I asked my 6 year old daughter, Marigold West.

"It was swinging like crazy so I pulled it out. It's under my pillow now. I'm going to sleep early tonight so the Tooth fairy will come quickly." Her smile widened.

I kissed her forehead. "I love you, baby... but I'd really really like it if you'd speak a little less."

She pouted. "That's what my teacher says. I talk too much. It's not as if I don't know that. I just... really love talking."

I laughed lightly. She smiled.

The last seven years were easier than anyone would expect. The new world order came.

There's no money anymore. We use tokens. And everyone gets the tokens according to the amount of work they do.

There's no government anymore. Just an international panel where a representative from each community speaks for his or her people.

There are no countries anymore. We live in communities but we're all united. Not according to religion or mindset or zodiac signs or anything. We're united as humans.

There's no violence anymore. After the terrors we went through, we decided fighting was useless and our recent horrors should never be repeated. When we die out, so will this type of thinking. But while it's there, we'll cherish in the peace and tranquillity.

You know what's there? Love. Something we never had before at this extent. Everyone cares about each other. There's no hate.

The new world is a beautiful meadow to me. All the trees grew again. All the animals came back. And everything is prettier than before.

And I'm happier than before. I'm at peace.

I still get the nightmares, though. But my family is there to console me. Al holds my hand and tells me it's okay. Gold climbs into my lap and I find comfort in cradling her.

About my friends; Lara works as an architect in Bangkok, James owns an international newspaper and lives with his wife Avril and Hammad lives in the Turkey with his wife, Fatima and two children, Zaynab and Aleezé (pronounced Aleezay). It's been a while since I saw them but we talk a lot.

As for Al, I married him. He came to Russia and we worked together in the Compound. Then, as our friendship turned into something else, we came to Scotland. And there, we eventually got married.

When the new world order was established, the countries that hadn't fought in the war broke down their walls. They gave us all the aid possible and helped us. They didn't give us the 'we told you so' that we expected. Instead, we received warm hugs.

When everything had been terrible, I never expected this to happen. I never thought I'd have a house, a job, a husband, friends, a daughter and most importantly, a happy life. But it all just kept getting better and better.

I thought I'd gotten a happy ending. Then, I realized that it was only just the beginning.