Fate

On day 3, two soldiers accompanied by Alejandra came to get me. They handcuffed me and took me to a separate building, a few miles away. I didn't struggle because I knew why they were taking me.

I was a murderer.

In the War Prisoners' camp, I met James.

"What are you doing here!?"

I leaned against the counter with my handcuffed hands behind my back. "I'm the Greek general who bombed a school in the US."

His eyes widened. Then, he cleared his throat and declared, "I know that your heart is pure and you're not a murderer."

"I killed those children."

"You didn't know what you were doing, Gael."

Then the soldiers dragged me to my cellar. It was a big room, made of cement. There was a bed, a chair and a joint bathroom. No lights.

As I sat on the bed, a woman came in.

"I'm Leutenant Gonzales." She sat down on the chair. "How are you, Gael?"

"I'm good." I mumbled.

"Great. Okay so I'm here to tell you that your case is being pleaded by Sheikh Hammad, James Watson and Lara Gonzales, my daughter. The only person against you is Alejandra Digaro. Apart from her, no one blames you for the bombing. What happened in the launch room was caught on surveillance cameras and the footage miraculously survived. We managed to get it a few days back. You'll surely be out of here soon."

"That's good." I said, shorty.

"It really is." She smacked her lips. "Now for the procedures... you have to shave your body, head included. No hair at all. And you're supposed to maintain your hygiene. You're expected to wear black coats and headscarves over uniform. Do you understand?"

"Everything is good." I nodded.

She nodded. "Lara speaks most highly of you, Gael. She says you're a warrior and I appreciate that. I hope that the fire inside of you hasn't stopped flickering. I hope it burns on and on but please... don't let it burn you."

"It won't." I promised.

Maybe the only reason I was cleared of all charges was that I wasn't an important case. Greece wasn't as damaged as the other places so it didn't really matter what had happened. It mattered a lot to me, though.