Spilled blood

"You!"

We all looked up from our plates. General Naomi was pointing at Sunita.

Sunita stood up. "Yes?"

"Did you just spit something out!?" Naomi looked furious.

Sunita frowned. "Um, yes I did. "Then, she added. "It was a bone... I spit out the bone."

And the next moment, Naomi was holding Sunita by her neck. Sunita kicked the air. General Naomi let her go and she fell to the ground, massaging her bruised neck with her hands.

"You ungrateful piece of shit!" Naomi spat. "You're supposed to eat what you're given for lunch, not spit it out!"

She kicked Sunita in the stomach causing the poor girl to roll over on the ground.

"Food is scarce and you spit out a bone. You don't deserve food! You don't deserve anything!"

"For God's sake, shut up!"

All eyes went to Sunita. She was standing up, with a fierce look on her face.

"What did you say, Soldier?"

"I said... shut up." She repeated.

General Naomi tilted her head to a side and surveyed Sunita's trembling figure.

"Guards!?"

Both of them came running to the scene. "Yes, General?"

"Hold her." She ordered.

Sunita struggled but they both grabbed each of her arms. General Naomi pulled a knife out of her belt and pushed Sunita's mouth open. Then, in a swift movement she cut her tongue into two.

There were shrieks from every side. I looked away and tears prickled in my eyes. Lara cursed under her breath.

The blood gushing from Sunita's mouth was a sign that she would die soon. But not soon enough. I wanted to shoot her at once, to pull her out of her pain and suffering by killing her. But I was scared for my life. Naomi would kill me.

"See this, soldiers! Witness her death! It is a warning for all of you! This is what happens to those who talk back to me!"

She pointed her gun at Sunita and shot her left eye.

"What the-!?" The guard let go of Sunita's arm. He stared at Naomi with his eyes wide. "You go too far, General!" He pointed his gun at Sunita's heart and shot her dead. I sighed with relief and so did many others.

The guard pressed the gun into his temple. "No, you won't get me, Naomi." And he shot himself and fell to the ground.