The General

"Gael!" He greeted me. "There you are, honey!"

I smiled. "Good morning, General. What're we doing today?" I asked him.

He laughed. "Nothing special. Just a tiny launch."

He sat down on my chair and placed his feet on my desk.

"So tell me," he asked. "Are you ready?"

"Of course I am." I assembled the books in my shelf.

"And do you promise to do everything I ask you to... without asking any questions?"

"Of course, sir."

He smiled and stood up. "Let's to go the launch room in the West Wing of HQ1."

"Of course, sir."

He walked out of the room and I followed me.

"Can we wait for a moment, sir? I'll lock the room."

I pulled the key out of my pocket and locked the door.

"Is that necessary?" He frowned. "Not as if someone's going to take anything."

"Just as precaution, sir." I replied, as we walked towards the West Wing.

"Precautions are stupid."

"Greece is taking precautions to stay uninvolved in the war."

"Stupid." He repeated.

"Do you want us to get involved, sir?" I asked.

He glanced back at me as we walked. "Very much."

"But... but I don't understand. This war is unnecessary bloodshed, that's all!"

"Gael, my dear. It's our way to the top. All those stupid developed countries will be gone and we will be the super power!" He explained.

"But sir, we are a developed country!" I exclaimed.

"More development isn't going to hurt anyone... oh, here's the launch room. Come on, in."

I entered the vast launch room, with its mirrored walls and countless computers.

"Screen 031, if you please." He gestured towards it.

I walked over to the screen and tapped. Words appeared. 'Area 10102960 to be bombed.'

"What's area 10102960, sir?"

"Just a useless empty field."

I activated the number pad and clicked the code. The screen turned green and said, "launching to school."

"Launch to school!?" I cried.

I tapped the screen again and pushed the 'Target' button.

Target: elementary school in Ohio, United States of America.

The general was smirking. "You know, Gael. The missile has your name and department and everything on it. You better go and save yourself. My mission is completed!"

"You monster!" I cried. "What did you do!?"

"I didn't do anything. You did."

I turned towards the screen which said 'launching'.

Then, I turned back to him and thrust my knife in his heart. He was taken by surprise so he went easily. I saw the life leave his eyes. He was dead.

I stood up. The screen flashed. "LAUNCH COMPLETE."

And a moment later, I could hear the fighter planes up ahead.