Run

I sat on the black horse while Hammad mounted the brown one. Then, we headed towards Turkey.

"Turkey will take us as migrants." He told me. "We might be allowed to live in a camp or something."

We rode for a long time, several days actually. We were a short way from a border when we were stopped by a soldier.

"Who are you and where are you going?" He asked us.

"We are migrating to Turkey."

"Turkey's not taking any migrants. Go West. There's a military camp there. They're taking recruits. Sign up."

"We do not intend to fight, my dear brother!" Hammad said.

"It is necessary for you to fight or you'll be exiled."

"That's okay." I answered.

The soldier shook his head. "Wherever you go, there is war. You can't escape this. The only places not on war are Ukraine, all of Arabia and Pakistan. They have walled themselves in, completely uninvolved. You can go to Ukraine later, if you're in this camp. This one is least likely to actually fight and I wish you well."

"We intend to go to Turkey."

"Turkey is already involved in the war! It's not taking migrants."

"To the camp, then." I decided.

"Sir, come with me. Lady, go west. No turns, no nothing."

"Wait no." Cried Hammad. "I'm not leaving her!"

"Sorry but you'll have to. You don't have a choice in these circumstances, sir." Said the soldier. "Ride, Lady!"

So, I set off to the camp where nothing but murder and terror and pain awaited, leaving my saviour behind.