Chapter 3: The Queen's Servicemen

MEANWHILE: (BRITISH ROYAL MARINES) (LAJES FIELD, AZORES, PORTUGAL) [12:42 AM]

The Marines slid through the base undetected. Luckily their submarine hadn't been detected either by enemy sonar. Captain Jon Scott was about to leave the Marines when the Russians began bombing Europe. The service had become rather 'dull' for Scott. Now that the war was hot, it gave him reason to continue serving his country.

Captain Scott surveys the area for patrolmen as they arrived in the abandoned civilian harbor. Thick black tendrils of smoke rose from the metropolitan area to graze the sky. The Ruskies gave it to them hard, he thought aloud before turning his attention back to the mission at hand "Copy that, Bulldog. This is Echo 1. Lajes Field is being used by the Russians as a fleet forward base. Should we ask Vengeance to level this place?"

"We've contacted the Portuguese Navy for reinforcements," UK command (Codename: Bulldog) responded with a short pause, "Leveling isn't an option. There are too many civilians on the island."

"It's your call, Bulldog," Scott sighed focusing on the task at hand.

An enemy soldier drew near, and before he is able to register what's happening, Sergeant Patrick Snipe was in motion. Moving with the trained skill of a soldier, Snipe drew his knife with one hand and snatched the enemy with the other. His hand was clasped over the Russian man's mouth as he gave several swift stabs to his chest.

The enemy slumped and collapsed in a dead heap. Using stealth, the troop of allied soldiers covered ground quickly. Private First Class James Moore froze causing his comrades to stop as well, around the corner more enemies roamed the grounds. "Enemies at 2 o'clock!" he hissed glancing around nervously.

"Should we take them?" Corporal Frank Winston quizzed gripping his weapon tightly.

"No, there's too many. We'll stay in the shadows of the containers. No need to risk drawing attention to ourselves," Scott replied much to their relief. They were proud to be fighting for the sake her majesty, but that didn't mean they would be alright with dying in vain.

Two soldiers paced a few yards away exchanging casual conversation in their native tongue. They were close enough to spot them if they were looking towards the containers. And Scott thought, if they were to make even one speck of noise, Russian soldiers will be on the Queen's doorstep tomorrow night, America is too busy to be the World's Police right now.

Moore ran into Scott's back and bumped into one of the barrels. The barrel was on the verge of toppling over but he just barely caught it in time. The small commotion was enough to catch the attention of the two Russian soldiers patrolling the area. Both began to walk in the direction of the containers where the allied soldiers rested in squatting positions in the shadows.

Scott gently placed his gun onto the ground and withdrew his knife as Snipe had done earlier. Snipe mimicked the captain's intentions and waited for the soldiers to be close enough to grab. Scott was the first to make his move. He threw his knife at the farthest soldier and burying it hilt-deep in the young man's chest.

Snipe took advantage of the first soldier's shock and pounced like a panther. He was quiet and fluent in his movements. His arm extended and the edge of his blade slit the enemy's throat like a hot utensil slices through butter. Both bodies were then hidden in the shadows of the containers and left behind. It would only be a matter of time before the blood and bodies were found.

"Watch yourself, James," Capt. Scott growled lowly at Pfc. Moore who looked slightly red in the face, the Squad Feared their superior but they loved him as well. With Scott's deep Scottish Accent he warned the young private "You damn near cost us the mission!" With a silent nod from Moore, they continued on with weapons in hand. Captain Scott suddenly tightened his earpiece