47. The way I love You

47. The Way I love You

"Has anything happened today?" Elena asked me.

"Well, apart from Caroline and Jeremy leaving to go back to Mystic Falls. And Damon being out all day and leaving me to cure this hangover on my own...not really. I tried calling Elijah but he's all pissed because I called him while he was trying to have sex and...yeah."

"Damon's stupid for leaving you alone." She muttered. "It's dangerous!"

"It's fine." I assured her. "Besides, he only left at lunch and it's now...9 pm."

"He's stupid."

"He's my boyfriend."

"I know, I'm sorry." She sighed. "I've gotta go. Bonnie's gonna put a protection spell over the boarding house and my place and she needs help to make sure she doesn't pass out with exhaustion."

"Is it hard for her to do spells?" I asked.

"A little. Look, I've really gotta go so-"

"You love me and you'll see me later?"

Elena laughed. "I love you and I'll see you later."

About a half hour later, I heard the front door opening. I would have gotten up, but I was too busy lying on the couch with my eyes closed, attempting to sleep.

I felt Damon's fingers trace against my cheek.

"You are so beautiful." He whispered.

"And you are so late."

Damon pulled my legs up, dropped down on the couch and then placed my legs back on his knees. I rolled over onto my side and took Damon's hand.

"Where've you been?"

"Trying to find out what Klaus' next move is." He explained. "I'm sorry for leaving you all day without calling. It was stupid, anything could have happened."

"Mmm." I nodded in agreement.

"Am I forgiven?"

"Mmm."

"Are you tired?"

"Mmm."

"Want me to put you in bed?"

"That would be nice."

Damon placed his arms under my arms and legs and carefully picked me up, holding me close to his chest. I kept my eyes closed, and Damon sighed lightly as he gently positioned my body on the bed. I'd changed into my pajamas earlier, so I didn't need to get changed.

Instead of wrapping the blankets around me, Damon got down next to me and pulled me up into a sitting position, holding my shoulders. I blinked my eyes open and stared at Damon for the first time in several hours. He seemed more....I dunno.

Upset?

"Are you ok?" I asked him.

"I'm fine." He said, taking both of my hands in his. He kissed them tightly and breathed into them. "I just...I want you to know how much I love you. Because I feel like sometimes our relationship isn't as serious as it should be and sometimes I don't make you feel like you should be feeling."

"Damon, you make me feel like I never have before." I murmured. "I don't care how cheesy it sounds, you make me feel special."

Damon took hold my my waist and gently pulled me closer so that I was on my knees. He got on his knees as well and placed one hand at the side of my face whilst the other wrapped around my waist and back.