Chapter Forty: Cold as Fuck

"Revenge isn't a passion, it's a disease. It eats at your mind and poisons your soul." - Raymond "Red" Reddington. 

Chapter Forty

Draven's POV

  "Alpha, you there?" Comine piped up.

Reclining back in the broad chair in my office, I turned towards Brotherhood of Cain's Dominants. They lounged across the room, looking completely and totally at ease. I resisted the urge to get up and throttle them. On top of the fact the Land Rover's undercarriage was shot to hell, the Chief of Police was riding my ass and Addox was making a move, all these idiots cared about was going home.

"Let us just kill him, alpha. No more worries, no more problems," Svene commented brilliantly, shrugging wide shoulders.

Images of me getting up and sticking my claws through his neck flashed through my mind.

I closed the lid of my laptop, staring at the Russian. Before I could get a word in, Tamal spoke up, "Great idea, let's just kill the Chief of Police! Because it's not like they won't come down on us with thousands of men with small brains, big guns and silver bullets."

My glare turned to Tamal, burning a hole through his thick skull. For a second it was silent as he grimaced at Svene, then when he realized everyone's attention was on me, he decided to follow along. He saw my look and cringed.

Coughing, he muttered an apology.

Tamal could take that sorry and shove it up his ass. "We won't be killin' 'em now. This will need to be done quickly and silently. Word gets back to the the government that we're not playin' by their rules, we're all dead."

"Eh, not sure how I can be of service then." Svene looked apologetic. Did I really allow these idiots into my pack? Honestly, when did I ever think that was a good idea?

"Tamal, get Ticke to do some diggin'. Financial records, his schedule, who he's screwin' on the side, w hat he eats for lunch."

"Yes, alpha. What'll we do about Addox?" Apparently one of them still had their brains.

What should we do about Addox? Unlike his other comrades, he chose brute force instead of quiet kills and sly choices. The best way was to confront this was head on.

"Comine, schedule a meetin' with Addox. At my home." She knew Addox best, could probably put him at ease when he came.

The hawkish brunette looked up from her cellphone, surprise in her shrewd eyes. "Are you sure at the castle, alpha?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"I meant it might not be a wise idea," she backtracked. "He will be quite...disgruntled. You also don't know for sure it is him. He could bring something in, plan an attack. Maybe we should meet at public place?"

"I was quite disgruntled when they shot at my truck. I was quite disgruntled when they shot at Ethel. And I was also quite disgruntled when they shot at me. So, yes, schedule the fuckin' meetin'." Comine, never one to startle in the face of anger, nodded. Not to mention the body shop the Land Rover was currently at wasn't giving me any good news.

"Right away, alpha. But, there have been questions." Her eyes flicked away from mine in that moment, shooting towards the bookshelf like one glance from me and she'd turn to stone. The action was odd for her, especially so when she looked death in the face and laughed.

I rested my arms against the desk, picking up on the tension suddenly appearing in the room. Tamal had a look on his face, Svene watched me carefully, Xian seemed apprehensive while Bastard just stared vacantly.