Chapter Twenty-One: Dining with Wolves

"When this monster entered my brain, I will never know, but it is here to stay. How does one cure himself? I can't stop it, the monster goes on, and hurts me as well as society. Maybe you can stop him. I can't." – Dennis Rader, The BTK Killer

Chapter Twenty-One

Ethel's POV

Tycho stepped out of the bath, flinging soapy water across my clothes. He smelled of Glamorous Grape shampoo and conditioner. I tried to pick as many fleas off of him as I could but half of them were still imbedded in his fur. I wrapped a white towel around him and rubbed, cleaning the bubbles off of his coat.

I pulled the drain and heard the door squeak open. Tycho bolted out of the bathroom, smashing into Ornias' legs and knocking him back a step.

"What's up?" I asked, wiping the my wet hands on Tycho's towel.

He squinted at me. "Dinner will start soon. Mrs. Rheema's making it early for you."

"Okay," I stood up and threw the towel over the shower curtain's pole. "I didn't know you lived here."

I looked back at Ornias when I didn't hear a reply. "Yeah. Tamal dropped me off here after they kidnapped me."

Color me surprised. "Why did Tamal and Draven kidnap you?"

Ornias' face was blank, all sad eyes and no smiles. "I was in the Alliance's care. I heard you were too."

"Yeah." I put the shampoo and conditioner back under the sink before leaning against it.

"My mother thought I was an abomination before the Lord. She didn't know she was dating a werewolf when she had me. When I was three she dropped me off at some church's doorstep. The Alliance saw me sitting in the cold and took me in."

"My dad knew there was something wrong with me when I was born. He gave me to them too," I replied.

Ornias scratched his wrist. "Parents suck."

"Pretty much." We shared a moment of silence in honor of our shitty parents.

"Dinners ready!" Rheema hollered.

I walked out of the bathroom, Ornias trailing behind me like a lost puppy.

Rheema's home was beautiful. It was a farmhouse with ten acres of rolling hills behind it. She had decorated it to the max with watercolor paintings and plush rugs. Rheema demanded all shoes be left at the door, and I couldn't complain since there wasn't a cold surface for my feet anywhere in the house.

I entered the kitchen from an open wooden arch. Rheema's kitchen was brand spanking new with smooth marble countertops and glistening appliances. She had a large homestyle table next to the kitchen with ten available seats. Bowls full of salad and bread lined the table with a scorching pot of chili in the middle.

Rheema sat at the head of the table, with Draven and Tamal on each side of her. Ornias took a seat beside Tamal while I plopped down next to Draven. Rheema poured water into each of our cups on the table.

"Family dinner is so important, ya know?" Rheema said suddenly.

We all sort of did this simultaneous nod without replying. I took a sip of my water.

"Girls!" Rheema yelled. I jumped and water spattered across my jeans.

Footsteps echoed down the hall and soon two little girls were barreling into the kitchen. They both wore princess dresses and had silver tiaras on their heads. The little blonde-haired girl on the left had her hair in pig tails with pink strings around them. She was holding a stuffed cat with ratty fur and one eye.