Chapter Four: Is It Legal? *

"I have built my organization upon fear." - Al Capone

Chapter Four

Ethel's P.O.V.

Present

  I sprung. The harsh wire of the chain-link fence cut into my fingers as I pulled myself up and over it. Red and blue lights illuminated the alley's walls. Looking behind me, a black shadow roared. And by shadow, I meant an undercover cop car that was speeding down the grimy streets of Citadel, straight after me.

"Come on, Tycho! You can do it bud," I yelled at my side. The big Rottweiler galloped alongside me. His long, pink tongue lolled out of his mouth and huge paws ate up the ground, though he still ran beside me. Heroic.

A sparse road cut through the alley ahead of me. I was screwed, and I didn't even get dinner first. In a few hours I'd be sitting in a cell with a woman named Big Mamma. The thought of braiding her back hair and sleeping with my eyes open at night was horribly unappealing. Adrenaline sparked through my body and pushed my legs to a breakneck pace.

This is what I got for buying a bag of meth off a street dealer and not paying attention. It was sloppy, I knew better than to not keep my eyes open for the boys in blue. Though I was too worried about where I'd be staying for the next few says that I wasn't focused. See, the bag wasn't for me. It was for a friend, or, ah, acquaintance really. No one was friends with bitchy Mrs. Counting.

Mrs. Counting was the landlord of the hole-in-the-wall apartment I rented. She was big into the meth scene. Without money to hand over for the place, I had resorted to becoming her carrier girl. I got her the drugs, she lets me stay another day. It was the only job a high school dropout with no legal skills, a car, or a smile could find. Mrs. Counting gave me just enough to live on. Besides, there was no way I was going to start hooking.

So, here I am, running from Super Cop with a bag of meth tucked into my bra. A cramp settled on the right side of my stomach and I resisted the urge to slow down. I heard the purr of an engine. Automatically, I looked. A tinted Land Rover was flying down the road. It wasn't a cop and that was all I needed to know. Sticking my finger out, I pasted on a grin.

Get me the fuck out of here.

The car was expensive, considering the area I was standing in. The outskirts of Citadel did not have nice cars. They had junkers, and the occasional racer, but never a Land Rover. I had been on the streets long enough to know what I was doing. This was either a lost fool from up in suburbia or a dealer down deep. There was no going back. Hopefully they liked dogs.

The car rolled to a stop and the lights from the police car behind me illuminated its windows. Sirens wailed in my ear and I watched the backseat pop open with a crazed sort of relief. Throwing caution to the wind, I jumped in. Patting my lap, I urged Tycho to follow. He needed no further encouragement. Less than a second later, one-hundred and ten pounds of muscular Rottweiler was smashing into me

As I choked, he settled himself into the dark leather seat beside me. Once I finally regained my breath, I scooted up to see who had stopped. It was surely no secret I was currently hiding from the police. Who would risk their luck getting tangled up in that mess?

When I lent forward, I froze.

Okay, little elf. We play this game. When you need help, you find me. You just be ready to tell me the truth. Won't accept less.

"Hello Ethel," Draven's gravely voice spoke from upfront. His voice was almost painful to hear, so low. It sounded as if someone ripped his vocal cords straight out of his mouth.