"Seven."

"Seven?"

Her face turns red and she replies with with a nod.

Iris stalks towards me. "Wow it's like they have their own language." I raise my eyebrows and nod.

"She's pretty too," Iris says. "But the black eye?"

"She's in foster care," I say with a nod. A look of pity washes across her face.

"Oh."

The familiar buzzing of the metahuman alert goes off and I dash to my suit. As soon as it's on I rush to the area of the meta.

A man in a dark suit stands in front of me. Blue lightning surrounds him. He stands there like he means to do serious harm to someone. I hear Cisco's voice inside my ear.

"Barry! What's happening! The security cameras are down. I have no visual."

I decide to charge the creature anyways; I run in a circle around it, preparing to throw a bolt of lightning at it. As soon as I get to speed the man flings a strong arm at me and hits me directly in the chest. Next thing I know I'm flying through the air and then accelerating towards the ground. On impact I hear the ear splitting sound of my ribs crackling against the pavement. The thing turns and then disappears into thin air leaving me stunned. I get up as quickly as possible and race back to the lab.

When I get there Caitlin is already holding bandages and ice. She hands the ice to Dawn while she cleans the cuts on my face. Dawn hands me the ice and when she does her eyes go hard as if she is studying me. Her eyes then travel down to my chest and I cough. When I do pain rips through me.

"Oh sorry. I was just.. Um.. Can I?" Before she even finishes the question her hand presses against the center of my chest and a groan slips out of my mouth. I sit back in the chair and press the ice lightly where Dawn's fingers were.

"Hmm, your sternum is fractured," she says.

From behind her I hear Cisco say, "You knew that just by looking at him?" She nods.

"Well I figured. Then I tested my theory and well, see this bruising? That means its fractured and not broken. If it was broken all the way well, let's just say-"

"Not good." I say, remembering what she said to me the first time we met. "It'll take a few weeks to heal," she says.

Cisco, Caitlin, and I smirk. A look of confusion masks Dawn's face. "I don't only run fast."

Her face brightens with amazement. "You heal fast too?" I give a nod. She smiles and her eyes are almost star struck. Her cheeks become even more rosy than they naturally are.

"Cool." She says.

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

The next day Dawn comes to STAR Labs. She walks in with her face puffy and her eyes red. She puts on a smile and greets everyone. "Hey." Harry sighs and walks out of the room. Dawn turns to me with hurt and confusion. "Was I not supposed to come here again?"

"No you were. Harry is just worried about having kids running around the lab. Are you okay?" I ask. Instead of an answer she walks towards a cabinet labeled "splints and bandages". I follow her as she gets out a small fiber glass splint board and gauze wrap. Then she pulls her hand out of her pocket and I cringe. Her fingers are so purple they are almost black; they are bent in odd, unnatural angles and covered in a thick coat of dried blood. "What happened?"

"I'm fine," she says. She exhales and straightens out her fingers. They make horrifying cracking sounds and she winces and her eyes get watery. She finishes splinting her hand, not even shedding a tear. When she finishes she lets out another long exhale. Then she looks up at me with eyes so sad I have to look away. "What. Happened." I make my voice sympathetic but stern.

"You should have seen the other guy," she laughs. Frustration seems to bury me alive.

"This is not funny! Look at you! Your fingers are shattered!" She looks down.

"I live with three other foster children. The oldest is sixteen. I didn't like what he said to me." I sigh.

"So you hit him?" I asked.

She scowls at me. "He hit me first. And no. I didn't break my own fingers."

I nod, understanding. My heart hurts by the end of our conversation. I wrap her in a hug and she stiffens as if she is scared of me.

"Uh.. What are you doing?" She asks. I smile. "Its called a hug, Dawn. Its what you do when someone is sad."

"I know what a hug is Barry, but why are you giving me one?" she says, completely serious.

"I'm just letting you know that I am here when you need me." She nods and hugs me back cautiously, like she doesn't know how to exactly. Then she inhales like she is trying to memorize my sent. Like I would leave her in the dust in a blink of an eye.