"That’s what you really think?" Sam asked angrily.

"Yes, it is."

"Well, then this selfish bastard is going to California." Sam angrily slung the backpack over his shoulder and began striding away.

"Wait, Sam!" I called out.

He didn’t turn. I continued to gape at him. To think that he would leave us again. Just like that.

"Come on, you’re not serious?" Dean asked.

"I am serious."

"Sam I want to go with you." I blurted out before I could register what I was saying.

Both of my brothers spun in my direction and stared at me. A look of such hurt and shock flashed in Dean’s eyes that I almost wavered in my decision.

"What?" My brothers asked simultaneously.

I grabbed my duffel and slung it over my back. "This thing didn’t kill my mother, but I want to see Dad. I want to know why he left us to hunt alone." I started towards Sam trying not to let my confidence waver.

"It’s the middle of the night!" Dean cried behind us. Me and Sam turned and walked off. My heart was breaking at this. Leaving Dean alone. I swallowed and blinked back tears of regret. "Hey, I’m taking off, I will leave your asses, you hear me?" Dean called after us.

Sam stopped beside me again. "That’s what I want you to do."

We stared at one another for a few tense seconds before finally Dean slammed the trunk shut. "Goodbye, Sam." He looked at me. "Goodbye, Kenzie."

Dean got into the car and sped off.

* * * * *

Sometime in early morning we came across another hitchhiker. A girl with short blond hair and punk themed clothes. She was nodding her head in time with the music blasting through her headphones.

Sam reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. She jumped and exclaimed. "You scared the hell outta me." She took off her headphones.

"I’m sorry. I just thought you might need some help." Sam said kindly.

She gave him a once over. Then she turned to me and something flickered in her eyes. It was almost possessive looking. "No, I’m good, thanks."

"Uh, so where you headed?" Sam asked awkwardly.

She looked him over again and said wryly, "No offense, but no way I’m telling you two."

"Why not?" I asked.

"You could be some kind of freaks. I mean, you are hitchhiking." She replied matter-of-factly.

"Well, so are you." Sam shot back.

The girl laughed. There was something off about her. Like the way her eyes flickered strangely every time she glanced my way.

A car horn honked behind us and we turned. A van pulled over beside us and the driver called, "Need a ride?"

"Yeah." We all three replied.

"Just the girls." He said looking at Sam. "I ain’t takin’ you."

The girl gathered up her things and got in the van. "You coming?" She asked me and I shook my head.

"Nah, I’m good." I replied

"You trust shady van guy and not me?" Sam asked her through the open window.

She grinned. "Definitely." They drove off.

* * * * *

I was beginning to regret my decision of going with Sam.