Chapter 6

This chapter was very hard to write! I wrote three drafts! Let me know what you think! I'm open for criticism!

"Love you mom"

"Love you too; I'll be back from the store in ten." Lucy said walking out the door

Alex went back to the game on his computer, he looked out the window and saw his mother waiting at the curb for the green light, she looked up at the window and waved, he smiled back. The collision happened quickly, the blur of the truck and the oblivious Lucy walking down the street.

Alex woke up from his recurring nightmare; well it wasn't a nightmare really, because it had happened... three years ago. He looked around him, seeing if Rosemarie was there, he checked in her bedroom, and the kitchen, she was nowhere to be found. He was starting to get worried. He was looking in the closet when he heard the front door open; it was Rosemarie, with food from the grocery store.

"Went to get some food, we had none in the house." She said not yet looking at him, when she did she saw the expression of worry drain from Alex's face and become relieved. "Are you OK?" She asked.

"Yeah I'm fine." He said trying to play it cool; he didn't want her to think that he had been worried sick about where she was.

"I'm gonna get us both a bowl of cereal, I don't feel up to making pancakes or anything that will take long."

"I can make something." He said regretting it as soon as it came out of his mouth.

She smiled "That'd be great! Can you make up some pancakes, eggs, and maybe some bacon? We could have a feast!"

"Umm, yeah, umm, sure." He said not wanting to say how limited his abilities were at cooking.

An hour and a half later, he came out of the kitchen with pancakes (they sure didn't look like pancakes though), eggs (they sort of looked like yellow brains, yeah it was that bad), and some bacon (that was burned to the crisp).

"Wow" She said pausing looking at her food "This looks" she paused again "really good".

"Yeah, it does." He said

She looked at him to see if he was joking but saw that he wasn't. "That took a long time."

"I made everything perfect, so of course it took longer." Rosemarie tried very hard not to laugh (she really did), but failed. He glared at her "Sorry" she said. They ate in silence (Rosemarie ate very small bites so she didn't have to taste it, which took forever but she managed to gulp it all down).

"Where have you been sleeping then, before tonight?" Rosemarie asked after they were both done with their food.

"A hotel" He answered

"Which one?"

"Forgot the name." He said truthfully.

"Where was it?"

"Somewhere in Williamsburg."

"Where did you get the money to pay for the hotel?"

"Dad" The conversation ended there.

An hour later Rosemarie called work and told them that she couldn't come in to work the following Monday morning. "You want to talk?" Rosemarie asked Alex after the phone call.

"What about?" He asked

"You know"

"Nope, I don't"

"You don't want to cause you'll find it awkward."

"Maybe" He answered back

"Fine I'll do the talking." There was no response.

"Let's lay down the facts." She said "I haven't seen you in 15 years." She paused "The last time I saw you, you were a baby, and I was visiting when you were born so I could help out your mom. When I left a year later, I was never invited back, I don't know why." She paused again "I talked to your mom on the phone all the time, and I used to ask if I could come over, but she avoided the question." She took a deep breath and continued "Your father thinks you are somewhere else, I don't know where. You turn up, not telling me who you are and you avoid it. Why?"

"I wanted to go some time without you knowing who I was."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to get to know you for who you are, without questions like this." He said

"Oh" She said seeing the reason behind that.

"Dad thinks I'm in Wisconsin for two months, homeschooling myself."

"Wisconsin?" She said

"Yeah, it just sort of came out."

"And he believed you?"

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it!" He said laughing with Rosemarie

"Why did your parents not want me to visit?"

"Umm"

"Yes?"

"Well dad umm, doesn't really like you."

"Why not?" She said not being able to think of a reason behind that

"He said he thought you were crazy."

"Hmm, do you think I'm crazy?"

"Not yet" He said, Rosemarie laughed

"I never thought that I would see you again, well I knew I would see you again someday, but I couldn't have guessed that it'd be like this." Rosemarie said stumbling on her words.

"I guess"

"Did Lucy ever talk about me?"

"Yeah, mom would talk about you a lot." Rosemarie nodded feeling happy about that.

"So umm, you wanna watch Sherlock Holmes?"

"Nah"

"Oh, OK"

"Fine" Alex said, Rosemarie smiled and they proceeded to watch Sherlock Holmes.

"Nobody ever dies in Sherlock Holmes." Alex said

"People die all the time in Sherlock Holmes." Rosemarie replied

"No"

''Yes"

"No"

"Yes"

"No, because it's a TV show, nobody really dies."

"True"

"Maybe we live in a TV show, like in the movie The Truman Show, where he lives his whole life in a TV show, and he doesn't even know it, but finally he finds out."

"I don't think we're in a TV show."

"But what if we are, and millions of people knew what we were saying this very second."

"Hmm, that'd be creepy." Rosemarie said

"But if we did live in a TV show that would mean mom didn't die." Rosemarie didn't know what to say to this, so she kept quiet.