Chapter 4

He ended up staying, there was no talk, it was them, sitting on the couch, watching TV. After Alex had done the dishes, Rosemarie was starting the series of Sherlock Holmes again.

“I’ve never watched Sherlock Holmes…Is it good?” He didn’t get a real answer all he got was a “Shush” He then sat down on the couch and watched with her. They had just finished watching the second episode and Alex was getting into it when Rosemarie turned off the TV.

“Why did you do that?” Alex asked

“Well, I just had to ask a question” She answered

“OK” He said rolling his eyes

“Am I going to have to pay you for your time watching Sherlock Holmes?” Alex started laughing, but stopped when he saw that her face was sincere.

“Yup 7.50 an hour.” He said trying not to laugh.

“OK” She said turning the TV back on.

“What are you joking?” He said not being able to hold down his laugh.

“Shush” So there they were watching Sherlock Holmes while Alex’s paycheck got bigger and bigger.

“Oh my god!” She yelled turning the TV off once again.

“What is it this time?” He said, but this time really annoyed.

“Your parents must be worried! You’ve been here for about five hours, sweeping and watching Sherlock Holmes!”

Alex had a flash of guilt written upon his face, but quickly went away “I told them I would be gone awhile, I didn’t know how long you would want me here so they won’t be worried. But I should be getting home now.” He said standing up to leave; he was almost to the door when he called out “Should I come tomorrow?”

“Yeah, same time!” and then there was the sound of the door being closed.

She wanted to continue watching Sherlock Holmes but now that Alex was watching with her she didn’t want to watch without him, she didn’t think that he would appreciate that. So she stayed up reading, many hours later she looked up at the old clock hanging above the TV, and saw that it was 1 o’clock in the morning. She folded the page that she had stopped at, put the book down, walked to her bedroom, and closed the door behind her.

She woke up the next morning with the sound of the TV on. “Did I leave it on last night? No I didn’t I remember turning it off.” She thought to herself. She turned her head still lying in her bed to look at the bedside clock. It was 12:30, she shook her head in disbelief and looked again, yup, it was half past twelve. She stood up and left her bedroom.

She found Alex sitting on the couch watching Sherlock Holmes. He turned his head and said a quiet “Sup?”

“Why are you watching Sherlock Holmes? I didn’t watch anymore last night so we could watch it together.” She said, not trying to hide her annoyance with him.

“I didn’t know that and anyway you’ve watched it many times before and” he said emphasizing the and “I have been here for an hour while you’ve been sleeping, and I didn’t want to leave cause I’m getting paid for this hour.” He said, than turned around to continue watching Sherlock Holmes.

She rolled her eyes, and headed towards the kitchen. She prepared some pancakes for herself, than sat down next to him to watch.

“I don’t get any?” He said

She turned her head very slowly to face him and said “You didn’t ask for any, but I’ll make some for you if you want.”

“Nah, I ate.”