Chapter Twenty-Two

NOT EDITED

Somewhere deep in the forests of the American/Canadian border, large paws thundered against the soft ground, as it had been before for days on end. His russet fur was slick with sweat and his lungs burned, his legs ached for rest, but he was a Wolf on a mission. He wanted his mate, he want her back in his sight, near him.

His wolf had be chewing his ear off for letting her leave so easily, but gave him strength, none the less. It had been almost a week since he had left his home for the first time in several months, he had always been right behind his lovely mate, just missing her. But something had changed, he wasn't sure if it was him or Lym, he had started feeling off. Nothing in particular was wrong, just he felt different, like desperate for something he couldn't find.

He slowed down in a trot when the scent of his mate blossomed greatly, but the stench of death and decay lingered as well, the vultures flew high in the sky, nearly touching the clouds from what he could see between the canopies. The ground was slightly damp from a previous rain and given the fact that her scent was still strong, it meant she was still there or just left.

His tail wagged from side to side slightly in anticipation, his body buzzed with relief. Tilting his head upwards just a bit, he sniffed for a scent trail, his blue eyes closed. It was like a beacon beneath his lids, the silver string that represented her trail was thick and vibrant, she was definitely still there. Blindly, he followed the trail, his paws carried him deftly through the grassy forest floor, he only opened his eyes when he met a stream.

A quick dip in it with his padded feet and a fast slurp, he hopped out. He could sense Lym nearby, he felt her presence. Unease nestled itself in his chest, something wasn't right, he knew just enough about Lym to know she would have made her presence known by now.

It took him a moment, but once he looked past the dark olive grass, through the thick ivy, he found her. His heart broke. Faster than he thought possible he ran over to her.

She was in her human form, her once lovely ivory colored skin was ashen with sickness, making her scars looked like pale vines. Her thick blonde braids were straw like, slowly losing the health in it, her veins stood out, a vivid blue against a creamy gray. Then he saw the source of it.

A large part of her waist was red and festering, it was partially clawed, as if she tried to dig out the infected skin, which she probably did. It was clear as day that she got it from a fight, a fight with a wolf that had been exposed to Wolfsbane. A werewolf's kryptonite if it gets in their bloodstream.

His wolf whined in the back of his head, she would die from this infection.

Concentrating on his human form, Romulus shifted back and fell onto his knees, his heart ached for his mate. He was willing to do anything to take her pain away, if she could feel it. He knew she was in some sort of limbo right now, he had been in her position once before and he could only hope that she was stubborn even not to die.

Get a Theta and several Enforcers outside Clear High Mountain Range, the north side, near Tawny. He mind linked the wolves that had followed him after a day had passed, howls bounced throughout the forest, they were calling in everyone they knew from their King's main pack.

Scooping her into his arms, he looked down at his tiny mate. His vision was blurry with tears, he couldn't lose her now, not after she had just came back to him, willingly at that. That day she ran from him, he thought it would be the last he would ever hear from her, something in him shattered into billions of pieces that day and it had only started to regroup over the last few months Lym had returned to him.