Chapter Thirteen

Walking through the mall with bags of clothes in her hands, Lym observed everything. Mundane life was all very strange to her, she had seen in the past few weeks out that are never satisfied with the little things that they get, they were constantly going at one another for more. It's was ridiculous.

       When she had asked Harold to take her to New York City he obliged with a question, telling her he had an apartment there that she could use. She had expected some rundown burger joint with holes in the walls and such, not that it would matter to her.

       The apartment was a lavish place, up to date and modern. It was an old, brick compartment apart of an apartment complex, it had its own little cute walkway up to concrete steps with metal railing. Three stories high. More than enough room for her.

     The first room was basically a lounge room, it was set up with neutral colors, gray and white, with a 80 inch HD flat screen TV adorned with an Xbox One that sat on a dark chess table that held DVDs of all sorts. A large rug covered the light hardwood, books were scattered across the large room on shelves and bookcase and even the floor, from Lym's erratic sleeping patterns, she didn't like the the TV so she read books when she didn't go out.

       The second floor was accessible by a winding metal staircase, it consisted of a large kitchen, a nook to eat at, and a room off to the side for laundry. The kitchen was completely up to date, stainless steel appliances were everywhere. Lym made sure to keep the giant fridge fully stock, along with the pantry and cupboards.

        Lastly the top floor was where a Lym stayed most of her days wasting away into her depraved mind, losing herself to her thoughts, writing out plots of the many books she read when they didn't go as she liked, or she was simply sleeping. Her large king sized bed was perfect for her, wolves were naturally a day sleeper, but Lym was one to sleep when she felt like, and was a heavy one at that. In the light gray room she had slowly adjusted to city life, watched them from the balcony to the left of her bed.

      The squeal of tires brought her back to reality, her bared her teeth in the direction of the pestering sound. Her eyes surveyed her surroundings until she finally saw a taxi driver who was holding onto his steering wheel for dear life while the man in front of the car stared at something around Lym. Frowning, she turned back and started walking towards her newish home.

       She knew someone had been following her for the past day, she knew it as soon as she turned away from the almost wreck. Patters of feet and deep breaths, they were all heard, she was trained well in the art of tracking and with it came observing her surroundings at all times. Her guard was never down, the thought of being so close to Everest made her alert. She didn't know if her mate had sent out Enforcers on her, but if he did, they wouldn't stop searching until she was pronounced dead or was captured.

       But today she didn't have time for her stalker, she was meeting up with an acquaintance that was quite the reliable source. The day was dark, clouds blocked the warm sun letting the snow linger for even longer. Every breath was a puff of smoke, the sound of her boots hitting the side walk was the only thing that Lym truly focused on, trying to ignore her little follower.

       Turning down an alley on 42 Main Way, Lym masked her features and turned around quickly, shutting the large iron gate, the creaking was ominous. Before heading down the narrow way, she searched the area in front of her. Her eyes picking out every little detail, the sway of the carefully placed trees, the pedestrians walking by without a care in the world.

Not one single soul stood out. Maybe the person was eating at the nearby café, maybe they were lurking above. But it didn't matter, when the time came, she'd kill them. Her nostrils flared taking in the scents around her before she turned on her heel and ventured deeper in the damp alley.