Chapter Twenty-Three

NOT EDITED. I REPEAT——NOT EDITED, LIKE AT ALLLLLL

          Opening her eyes was a hard thing to do, between her body basically rebelling against her and the blinding light that greeted her it almost made Lym wanted to be asleep again. But confusion quickly set in. The strong smell of chemicals and rubbing alcohol was irritating her nose, the plush bed beneath her caused panic to seize her. Quickly she sat up, well tried to. Restraints held down her arms and waist and legs.

         A confused growl escaped her lips, the sound of a monitor beeping uncontrollably began to hurt her ears. With wide eyes she looked up at the white ceiling, trying to calm her erratic breathing, ignoring the too soft fabric against her skin.

         As soon as her breathing calmed, the slamming of a heavy door made her flinch slightly, yet it sent the monitor in an uncontrollable frenz. Clenching her teeth together, she braced herself for whatever was to come. What she didn't expect is what she heard.

       "Lym? Oh, little one, I was so worried." A whimper fell from her mate's mouth.

          Soon his shaggy black hair came into view as he leaned over her, his vivid blue eyes were bloodshot. Never breaking eye contact with her, Romulus unstrapped her from the hospital bed. She struggled to raise up but he placed his steady hands against her back gently. He gathered cream colored pillows from an juniper green couch that was off to the side and propped them underneath. He was surprised when she made no move to remove him from her bed when he sat on the side.

        "W — what happened?" She stumbled over her words, her voice cracked from the lack of use. Lym couldn't remember much, only the searing pain in her side.

Sky blue eyes searched hers for something, seemingly fine with what he saw, he reached for her hand. A low growl emitted from her throat as she pulled her hands in her lap, away from him. He was lucky she allowed him to sit on her bed, she only did it since she had a feeling he was the one who brought her here, she knew she needed medical attention for her wounds.

A distant, sad look clouded his eyes before he replaced it with a stony expression. His lips were smoothed into a thin line, he was clearly upset yet he concealed it as much as he could.

"You ran — "

"Yes, I know that. How did I get here?" She tried to control her annoyance, really, she truly tried. But by the way he flinched, she supposed it didn't work. She watched as he swallowed, she was utterly fascinated by the contour of his throat, the fact that he had to gather his bearings before he spoke to her made feminine pride swell in her chest.

       "I...brought you here, after finding you in the forest." She studied him. His stance was rigid, eyes not quite looking at her but just above her brows. Lym didn't missed the way his hands twisted in his lap, as if to stop himself from doing something irrational.

       She hummed in a response, not caring too much for the way he acted. Years she had been taught the art of lying, in those same years she was taught key signs of a liar. She was not an idiot, Lym knew he was hiding something from her and had a feeling she wouldn't like it.

        During their small interaction the drugs began to wear off and her energy became stronger once again, the link to her wolf wasn't as foggy. But with the medicine wearing off, the pain arrive in great multitudes, but from her facial expressions you would have thought she was bored out of her mind with out a care in the world.